My knee-mill DRO install

jwmelvin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Nothing particularly new here, but I always enjoy seeing multiple approaches for inspiration when I'm preparing a project of my own. I have a Bridgeport clone and decided to put an inexpensive DRO on it. I believe Shenzhen Siton Tech. has been recommended here, and that's where I purchased an HS800-3. Came with 3 glass scales and the readout for $270 delivered. I selected scales of 620 mm, 450 mm, and 320 mm, all in 5 µm resolution.

I have a bunch of aluminum square tube that I got for free, so I used that to make the y and z brackets. I 3-d printed a mount for the x-axis read head, using the travel stop holes in the saddle.

X-axis:
DRO_x-axis.JPEG

You can see that I extended the lock so that the handle clears the scale shield.

Y-axis:
DRO_y-axis.JPEG

Z-axis:
DRO_z-axis.JPEG

The z-axis scale took a little fussing to accommodate the machine casting, which wasn't flat or aligned with the knee surface.

overall, with shields in place:
DRO_overall.JPEG

I know most people mount the x-axis scale on the rear of the table, but I didn't want to give up the y-axis travel and figured I could be careful enough not to damage the scale. Plus, that let me use existing holes in the saddle for the read-head mount. It also avoided having to sort out how to leave room for the way cover back there.

I had to mangle the z-axis shield a bit to clear the read head, since the scale for that axis is spaced away from the surface more than the others. But it worked out okay in the end.

I may consider buying a 4-axis readout and another scale for the quill in the future, and moving this readout to my mill. But for now I'm super happy to have a DRO. When I learned to machine (a little bit) in college, there were only a couple Bridgeports that had DROs and it was always a treat to use them. Mostly we were directed away from them or not allowed to use the DRO so that we'd learn how to use dials. So this is especially gratifying. I haven't yet checked it for accuracy but I did use the centering function to make the standoffs for the z-axis scale and it was a pleasure.

Thanks,
Jason

Nicely done! I have a DRO install on my knee mill in my future and I really appreciate seeing how others have concorded the install.

Are those glass scales?

Are those glass scales?

Yes just the least expensive option. Magnetic seems really nice but I figured I’d give these a try first. Maybe magnetic for the lathe to be more compact.

Jason - Thanks for the post. I have been hemming and hawing about which DRO to go with, and whether to go 2 or 3 axis (the z seems tough, but manageable), and your post here pushed me over the top to just pull the trigger on something...

Inadvertently, it looks like I ordered the same one as you, the HS800-3. Should have it after Thanksgiving.

…your post here pushed me over the top to just pull the trigger on something...

Inadvertently, it looks like I ordered the same one as you, the HS800-3. Should have it after Thanksgiving.

Glad to have motivated action. I did the same myself (pondering for quite some time), and I’m perfectly happy with the low-cost option. With the third axis, you could always forgo installing it but it really wasn’t too bad.

I do love using the mill with the DRO. Finding the center of things is probably the number-one commonly used improvement.

So I got my DRO just before christmas, started installing it this week. I have X and Y in place, but am struggling on the Z axis. How big are those spacers you made? Is the safety cover you mangled only because you mounted on the side of that sensor? I have the older bridgeport, with the bolts for the turret on the main column. It flares out a lot more dramatically, so any advice you might have would be appreciated! I'm sure I'll get it worked out this weekend.

The spacers I used for my z-axis scale were something like .25-.376”. I can try to measure but they’re behind the cover. I bent a jog in the cover to give a little more room inside. Though it seemed mangled at the time, I haven’t noticed or though about it once. So glad I put the DRO on.

don't worry about measuring, I'm sure mine will be different, was just trying to get a sense of scale. just x&y have been a huge help. I even used the X only scale to build my y brackets heh. Excited to take a project on after i'm done for sure.

Hi nice work
Could you have mounted the z reader on the y axis scale cover?

Back