My G4000

Analias

Active User
Registered
I know it's not one of the old iron classics, but its a start for me. I found a G4000 (dated 07/98) that was obviously taken care of by the last two owners. The only defect I have found is the far right tab for securing the back splash is broken. It's all stock, with the stock tools. The only difference from stock is the 6" four jaw that was included to replace the original 4" four jaw. It also came with the cabinet stand, which I'm not using. I need to secure it to the bench, I'm a tad reluctant to put two half inch bolt holes through the surface. I suppose I have to, but the bench surface is pristine at the moment.

I decided to purchase a manual 9x20 instead of converting my existing 9x20 (which isn't complete) to CNC after reading about the problems that Steve is having with Mach3 on his. Also, to complete the job I needed about $600 more than I had and that was just for the CNC conversion, not including tooling. I'd like to have a lathe to use sooner than that. I also wanted to learn how to work a manual lathe.

I've already placed an order with Little Machine Shop for a AXA QCTP, an A2Z four bolt compound hold down, and a set of 1/2 HSS indexable turning tools. I'm going with indexable tooling to start with, but will eventually get a grinder and *try* to learn the art of tool grinding later.

I'd like to go through and check the alignment on the head and tail stock, and the run out on the spindle. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on how to align a lathe, or would one of our elder craftsmen be willing to make one for us newbies (hint hint - nudge nudge - wink wink)?

For the safety conscious, rest a sure I will get rid of all the junk above the lathe before I start using it. Last think I need is something falling into it when in use - ouch! :eek:uch:

IMG_20130310_151449.jpgIMG_20130310_151503.jpgIMG_20130310_151601.jpgIMG_20130310_162009.jpg

IMG_20130310_151449.jpg IMG_20130310_151503.jpg IMG_20130310_151601.jpg IMG_20130310_162009.jpg

Nice score, it looks brand new!

:drink:

Pristine!!!!! Looks like it was never used. A quick oil change and away you go. Have fun and make some neat stuff.

Bob

My order from Little Machine Shop arrived. It contains my AXA QCTP, four bolt compound camp plate, and 1/2" insert cutters. I ran into problems when I tried using the conversion bolt that I purchased for the QCTP, it would only thread a third of a way down on the stock tool post. Good thing I have a second 9x20 that is disassembled, oddly it came with two complete compound slides. One of the compound slides has bolt that the adapter threaded all the way down on. It was also in better condition than the original compound slide and no play in the lead screw.

Once I got the new clamp plate and AXA QCTP installed, I discovered that to tool point was 3 or 4 mm above the center of work when the tool holder was in the bottom most position. It looks like I'll have to throw the cross slide up on mill and take down the boss on the compound slide to allow the QCTP to drop lower. I figure I'll take 8 mm off to give me some extra room for future tooling. Good thing I have three cross slides in case I muck it up.

I'll have to add some pictures for before and after shots.

I discovered in another thread that there is a permanent thread about calibrating and aligning your lathe:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/13710-Method-for-Aligning-the-Tailstock-with-Headstock

Congrats on the new lathe.

Check out tubalcain's videos on youtube.

Mikail

I disassembled the compound slide with the hope that the original tool post bolt would come out. Grizzly's parts breakout suggests that it should come apart.

It looks like it was press fit with a pin to keep it from rotating. Any suggestions on how to remove the post? Should I try drilling the pin out or use a press from the other direction? I'm afraid of damaging the bolt or the threads.

IMG_20130315_213101.jpgIMG_20130315_213135.jpgIMG_20130315_213117.jpg

IMG_20130315_213101.jpg IMG_20130315_213135.jpg IMG_20130315_213117.jpg

Eureka! A solution presented itself. I was thinking it was small enough to fit in my 4" mill vice and then it hit me. Why not use the mill vice as a mini press? Sure enough, the compound slide fit in the vice. I used a piece of scrap aluminum at the tool post bolt end to protect the bolt and the vice. The bolt came out fairly easily.

Now I have to work up the nerve to mill the boss off. This cut would just happen to be the first real work I've done on my mill since purchasing it. It's also the first time I have used a face cutter on the mill. I tend to be pretty bold when working with computers and doing software development. I've done that for the last twenty years and know what I'm doing. I'm new to all of this and I'd rather not throw money out the window due to my ignorance when I've already spent it at my tools.

You'll be fine. Just take your time and make sure verything is bolted down and properly secured and start off with a light cut or two to get the feel. Then shoot for a decent depth of cut and a final pass or two to finish it off. I think you will do just fineit wouldnt it be easier to mill off the bottom of the AXA? That will be way cheaper if you do mucj it up.

Bob

I just used 3/8 tools in my 9x20 my 1/2" would not fit
steve

Back