My First Threading Operation

rotormotored

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
One day I noticed that I could not engage my power feed for both Longitudinal and Crossfeed. Being the amateur machinist that I am, I thought I had to take apart my apron to have look inside. I was hoping that I would see something obvious and be able to make some kind of repair by simply replacing something. That wasn't to be the case for me. What I did find out was that the 10-32 reverse thread screw that holds the clutch knob had broken and there was still a piece left inside. I think the problem was that for some reason the clutch was not functioning properly and therefore I was not able to powerfeed. I was told that the screws only function is to keep the knob from coming off so I don't think that was the reason. So I put it back together and I found that I could now powerfeed. But there was still the matter of the broken screw.
I guess I've always been a little hesitant to attempt and I know some day I'd have to learn it so I figured I might as well try it. I must admit that it took me several attempts to get it right and I'm still not sure I got it right. But at least I have a 10-32 left hand/reverse thread screw that works for what I intended it.
I did have allot of help form the guys on that "OTHER" forum. I know that most of those guys are probably on here also. The reason I'm posting it here, is because for some reason, I'm not able to post pictures with my camera on that "OTHER" website. I don't know why but I can post pics with my Cannon but it doesn't have a Macro function so I can't get any good close-up shots. With my wife's Sony Cybershot, I can because it has a Macro function. But for some reason, I can't post pics on that "OTHER" website's forum.
The problem I was having with the threading operation was that the dial on my cross slide was unlocking and giving false readings. I was breaking the .186 piece that I was threading. ... I think.
Maybe all this is laughable to some of you guys but I think this was a great learning experiance for me.

IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_1440.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did notice that it would have been nice to have gone a little further than the 60 degree angle for the gutting tool. But since I'm new at this and I already had messed up 6 times before, I'd stick to the rules.

IMG_0010.JPG

I dont have a milling attatchment for my Heavy 10 however, I do own a Bridgeport...
So the only way I could figure out how to cut the slot for the screw driver was to somehow hold it on my small craftsman vise and mount that on top of a piece of I-beam. I then tilted my head 90 degrees and used a ( I don't know what kind of end mill this is.... maybe someone here can educate me). I then just cut the slot small incrament by small incrament.

IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

End result and a great lesson for me.
I want to thank all of you who trying to help me on that "OTHER" websites forum.

IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0033.JPG

Cool! --- For newbies left hand single pointing threads can be a brain fuzzer (how do I know, you ask??---)

6 trys and an end result like that ... sure looks good to me, and think if you need to do another how easy itll be.

:) :) :) Excellent I don't know that I've ever cut a single point left hand thread myself ?? I think I was asleep in that part of the class ?? Now stamp a small LH in the head so someone doesn't break it trying to turn it the wrong way. But wait most of the time who looks at it anyway?? Bad idea ? ::)
Nelson I need a foot in mouth smiley :D maybe that's what the cheesy is for ??

Thanks guys, Tenn, Pacer, Jim B., DaveH and mnmh.
Thats what keeps me going. To know that I am not alone out here.
Now if I can get my Clausing running again, I can proceed with the restoration of my Heavy 10. That's plan for now, anyway.
Ed

Although the first thread that I cut was too many years ago to admit to I think you did better than I did the first time thru.

Cold rolled steel isn't the easiest to get a smooth thread on or in as was previously stated. I think you did an excellent job. ::thumbzup::

Thanks flutedchamber,
It was a great learning experiance for me. It did take several tries though.
Now I have to figure out what to do about my SB 10L. The motor starts to humm and the belt slips off. I think that I probably just need a new belt.
Not sure why the motor humms but it still turns.
Ed

rotormotored link=topic=2904.msg27020#msg27020 date=1316977466 said:
Thanks flutedchamber,
It was a great learning experiance for me. It did take several tries though.
Now I have to figure out what to do about my SB 10L. The motor starts to humm and the belt slips off. I think that I probably just need a new belt.
Not sure why the motor humms but it still turns.
Ed

When the motor hums and still turns..can you slow it with your hand? It sounds like the field and armature are almost touching...worn bearings.

Back