My first part

I made my first actual usable part tonight.
A T-nut for my vise.

A 1.25” piece of 10L, I turned down .5” of length to .5” and then tapped for 3/8-16.
I cut it off and then belt sanded it to width as it was barely over width.
Works like a charm.
This is seriously my first attempt at a useable part. I’m rather stoked as I hit my dimensions and tapped for the first time.
0a2ed152dbecc3eb3ffbae3c7c43a93c.jpg

6e115bed5783243fd381dad102c40cb4.jpg

51ca750af6da98eda120d7826e0712cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And now you are hooked

Nice job!

I'm a newbie too and get excited when I can make something with some level of precision.

Nice job!

I'm a newbie too and get excited when I can make something with some level of precision.
Newbies unite! :D
Seriously though, I had an ear to ear grin when I came in the house.
Seems almost silly but I think turning it down, tapping it and then have it actually work was some kind of proof that I might be able to make something.

Last edited:
Nice! That's how it's done. Always nice to see people getting the hang of things.

1583272735282.png

Before having lathes etc you went to the hardware store and tried to find something close to what you wanted or something you could modify. Now you are limited only by your imagination. Oh! this is what happens when you tighten something to oilfield tight.

View attachment 315585

Before having lathes etc you went to the hardware store and tried to find something close to what you wanted or something you could modify. Now you are limited only by your imagination. Oh! this is what happens when you tighten something to oilfield tight.
Yikes, and tightened repeatedly no less!

My partner tapped on the garage door and said “babe, it’s 11:30, I’m getting ready for bed.” I said “look what I made” and she was totally impressed and excited for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job DavidR8.
Aren’t wives / partners great. I can show my wife something I’ve made in the shop and she’ll say something like ”Wow, thanks really great” even though she is probably thinking ” You mean you spent 4 hours in the shop, using thousands of dollars worth of machinery and made all that mess just to create that little thing”

Dave,
Great job and I'm happy for you if only because it was only a few short months ago I made my first useful things and was hooked. Welcome to the next level of the rabbit hole!
Evan

Back