My first machine shop project! (Lots of pics)

As I thought about making one of these I realized that an 8mm bearing is about 0.315. That is suspiciously just larger than 5/16"! Is that an accident of nature? I think not. In fact, if you heat the outer part they are the same size...

I envision a wheel made from depleted uranium and a diamond bearing?

Robert

very nice top wildo!!!
7:22 is a very impressive spin time
well done!

Hey! what happened to the link to the FB group on Vorso tops??? I don't see it anymore?
Robert

Apparently I am now banned from the Vorso Tops page. Not sure why? I asked someone what the diameter of the stem was on their top. Obviously, I intended to make some tops. Perhaps that is a no-no?
Kind of funny!
Robert

Apparently I am now banned from the Vorso Tops page. Not sure why? I asked someone what the diameter of the stem was on their top. Obviously, I intended to make some tops. Perhaps that is a no-no?
Kind of funny!
Robert

Top makers don't take kindly to imitation; that's a fact. You wouldn't be the first to be banned- though usually you need to actually make the top first. Ha! That said, you can imitate a lot better than Vorso. They are so plain and boring... There's WAY better out there. Regarding dimensions, the Prometheus Lambda top has some basic dimensions on their page. If you aren't a member of Pocket Top Talks though, I really do recommend that group. Basically that group is where ALL of the "top" top makers hang out and show their stuff.

http://www.darksucks.com/store_lambda.html

Thanks! I am a member now!
I like those Lambda tops. I especially like the complex stuff on Billetspin.
I still don't know how people are gettign 20 min spins!?
R

I saw one yesterday that reportedly spins for 57 minutes. It has three grub screws around the perimeter to fine-tune the balance, it spins on a carbide bearing, and it is on a pedestal that doesn't allow it to travel and waste energy. That's an insane level of performance.

Back