My first Lathe. craftsman 101.07403. Restoration process and progress...

The seemingly bronze bushing at the countershaft have no holes for the oil to weep onto the shaft itself. Normal? There are two oil cups on each arm of the casting, but unless those bushings are permeable, I can see no way of the oil actually lubricating the countershaft.

My understanding is that bushing bronze is sintered, which leaves tiny pores in the metal so that the oil can seep through. I've also heard of people drilling weep holes in their bronze bearings only to have the oil run through them like a faucet.
Anyone please correct me if I'm in left field here.

My understanding is that bushing bronze is sintered, which leaves tiny pores in the metal so that the oil can seep through. I've also heard of people drilling weep holes in their bronze bearings only to have the oil run through them like a faucet.
Anyone please correct me if I'm in left field here.

No you are correct they may start there life as oilite bushings but if you do not replenish the oil the bushings oil supply will dry up most bronze bushings can be used in place of oilite.

No you are correct they may start there life as oilite bushings but if you do not replenish the oil the bushings oil supply will dry up most bronze bushings can be used in place of oilite.

That's twice you've posted useful info in a thread I've started. I appreciate that!

I'll add that not all bronze bushings are sintered. Bushings used in pressure or splash lubricated applications (like most automotive gearboxes and engines for example) are NOT sintered. Although the sintering process was a great development for applications like most of ours in the lathes and mills, it does have its drawbacks. Being less dense, it doesn't wear as well in continuously lubricated service as solid bronze.

If you take a solid bronze bushing, heat it and drop it into oil, you'll get the same thing as you'd get if it were steel or aluminum - sizzle, spatter and smoke. It will not absorb any oil.

Clausing (formerly Atlas) still sells parts for the Atlas machines. Last year the price of L3-109 was $7.80. 800-323-0972. Ask for "old Atlas parts".

Joshua, don't forget that you were going to send me the serial number.

Robert D.

That all sounds good but I respectfully disagree I never told him to use brass,,, powdered cast bronze and there so called sintered bronze is the samething powdered cast bronze that they sell in any hardware store is porous and will hold oil even if it did not which it will it will work fine. As far as heating them up and droppping them in oil it works fine and originally that is how they where made they just did not grow on trees the process was originally developed by Chrysler corp for water pump bearings in the 20's high tech.... hardly. I made them for 25 yrs when we made busings either that or we would use a vacuum chamber and 30 weight oil. Either way it is how it is done it was no engineering miricle that only Atlas or Clausing come up,, with most of there prices are triple what they should be there just raping the public because they can all of the busings are of common size Clausing just buys them off the shelf and repacks them. BTW the ones I made have been in my lathe for over 25 yrs on my recent rebuild and mods they did not need replacement or the shafts I think that is proof enough... Ray

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I'll add that not all bronze bushings are sintered. Bushings used in pressure or splash lubricated applications (like most automotive gearboxes and engines for example) are NOT sintered. Although the sintering process was a great development for applications like most of ours in the lathes and mills, it does have its drawbacks. Being less dense, it doesn't wear as well in continuously lubricated service as solid bronze.

If you take a solid bronze bushing, heat it and drop it into oil, you'll get the same thing as you'd get if it were steel or aluminum - sizzle, spatter and smoke. It will not absorb any oil.

Clausing (formerly Atlas) still sells parts for the Atlas machines. Last year the price of L3-109 was $7.80. 800-323-0972. Ask for "old Atlas parts".

Joshua, don't forget that you were going to send me the serial number.

Robert D.

On this date...1/20/45...fdr was elected to his 4tg term.

Left race, 1/22/45. Matching bearing, 1/20/45. Right race, 2/13/45. Matching bearing, 2/20/45.

Btw, I bought sae 863 bronze bushings from McMaster Carr for 2.44/ea. 3/4" shaft size, 7/8" OD, 1-1/2" long.

Should work?

Last edited:
You will be fine if you end up having to machine on them a little you will learn from it no sense in having a lathe if you cant make a bushing.

You will be fine if you end up having to machine on them a little you will learn from it no sense in having a lathe if you cant make a bushing.

Exactly my thought.

Recently in the process of restoring this lathe I began to obsess over buying new pieces and parts for it, replacing this and replacing that. And while I know that many of those parts should be replaced, I now feel it's more important to put it back together, and use it, as it is. And as I progress with the craft and the inaccuracies caused by some of these worn parts become obstacles to progression. I'll rebuild and replace them. In doing so then, I'll fully understand the effects of my efforts and the relationship of those pieces to my finished work.

If I were to throw money at this thing in an attempt to "fix" it, I'll never understand what makes this machine "fixed".

Plus, I'll save money...for beer.

That is a good point if you dont question how everything is made you will never make anything you will just consume or become a parts changer.

I worked for years in a machine shop that did nothing but redesign and fix other peoples mistakes that included designers and engineers we also repaired anything that come through the door I learned a lot from the old fellas there.

Joshua,

Those are the correct dimensions for the L3-109. However, SAE 863 is sintered iron. Sintered bronze would be better for this application.

Thanks for the detailed dates. Did you ever locate the serial number?

Robert D.

Back