My first ever micrometers

Nubble

Registered
Registered
So I was given to micrometers by a buddy of mine one is in the box complete which is a Starrett no.436 1in and it appears to be working perfect, then I was given a Craftsman micrometer which I am unsure if it is working correctly, my buddy said that he is never tried it and it came out of his granddad's Kennedy chest

Attachments

• 20240401_134922.jpg
    20240401_134922.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240401_134949.jpg
    20240401_134949.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 16
Very nice! If you are "of an age" or close to being so, it's worth investing in the digital calipers. I need extra magnification to read verniers at this point in life - and most of my mics are vernier...

GST

Very nice! If you are "of an age" or close to being so, it's worth investing in the digital calipers. I need extra magnification to read verniers at this point in life - and most of my mics are vernier...

GST
I have a pretty decent pair of digital calipers from clockwise tools, I'll probably find myself using my calipers more often but it's nice to have a pair of micrometers around but now I've got to learn how to read them

It all depends on what you are doing and what you are making. I went for YEARS with just high quality dial calipers and digital calipers. I recently finally bought a Chinese digital micrometer a few months ago. After they arrived I found my fathers Mitutoyo analog micrometer that I inherited years ago. For the parts I have made calipers have worked just fine.

I thought I could figure out how to use the analogue micrometers being familiar with reading a veneer scale. I had to look up how to read them properly. I also had to take apart, clean and lubricate my fathers microneter. I couldn't find any information online for my particular model of Mitutoyo micrometer. It took a while to figure out how to disassemble them but clean up was easy.

Last edited:
Not hard to learn to read. When you are watching TV or other mindless activities, just randomly spin the gauge and read the results. You will get quick at reading the results pretty quick.

The dial calipers and micrometers that I have give me the same results. I’ve gravitated toward micrometers because they’re so much easier to use on pieces that are in the lathe than calipers.

The dial calipers and micrometers that I have give me the same results. I’ve gravitated toward micrometers because they’re so much easier to use on pieces that are in the lathe than calipers.

I had to figure out from Quinn (Blondihacks) that one revolution of the Mitutoyo analogue micrometer was 1/40th of an inch, 4 revolutions per .1 inch. After that it was easy.

I recall my father showing me how to read a micrometer about 45 years ago... probably with the same micrometer. I didn't remember the 4 revs per .1" part.

I spent an hour comparing readings from the analogue Mitutoyo with the Chinese digital until I felt comfortable with reading the Mitutoyo when the battery on the Chinese digital micrometer is dead. The same could be done comparing to the OP's calipers.

On my fathers Mitutoyo analogue micrometers the ratchet dial would not tighten the jaws, only loosen it with the ratchet engaged. Taking them apart I found the oil had congealed on the thread adding resistance to the jaws. Cleaning off the oil and replacing it with a new drop of light oil made them as good as new... Tightening the jaw properly.

Last edited:
My first micrometer was a Starrett 0-1 bought in the mid 1960s, Quality shows, It is still my go to mike and will likely last a few more generations; cost $21,50 --- Sad to hear that the company has gone to China!

So I was given to micrometers by a buddy of mine one is in the box complete which is a Starrett no.436 1in and it appears to be working perfect, then I was given a Craftsman micrometer which I am unsure if it is working correctly, my buddy said that he is never tried it and it came out of his granddad's Kennedy chest
Try this size 20190928_085324.jpg

Back