[CNC] My First End To End Cnc Project Is Done: Thanks To Hm'ers!

Jim, are you saying that he could add the fanuc unit to his centroid, and that they would be able to communicate and know when to change tools, and know that the tool has been changed?

To do ATC I need to buy that option/unlock - But it's not too pricy if I recall. Just checked - It's $280. but this software is crazy cool & easy to use. I now just fly thru the keys. And it's so intuitive at times. I'm an IT guy - And a DOS based program at first blush made me wince a bit.... fret not. solidm robust, and very easy to learn. (with you guys here of course!).

I wonder if the ATC's just communicate over RS 485 or something? anyway- I'll pop on a thread when I did into this a bit more.

An interface would have to be created. I would rip out the original controls and put in a small PLC to handle the comms and operation. It only takes about 4 to 6 I/O points to run the Fanuc tool changer. I'm doing it with the Galil controller on Alloy's machine. I'm sure the Centroid controller can send an RS232 or 422 signal out, if not, a digital output and input could work.

I thought I would pop in an update. Rev #2 was needed after I put the torch onto the table. The Sleeve brass bearings w/ the .5 shoulder bolts were simply too loose. The cost for tight-tolerance stuff was nearly 3x or more for Imperial. So off I went digging into the Metric parts world.

OLD:
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Bearing-1X868

NEW:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N41DRAW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

The cost was about 1/3 less and better fit/feature. She cuts really nice and smooth! FUN project and learned SOOOO much again from you guys here!

I remilled, drilled, and popped out my float mounts in 1 eve. CNC and I are getting to dance much better finally!

:-=) HAPPY HOLIDAY's everyone.
J

Orig post:

Hi everyone,
Just a quick gloat-note of a proud 1st completed CNC project done end to end by Myself. My Plasma table machine torch holder is ready to go onto the Plasma table at long last.

A few Shout outs! Thanks to Jim D, Middle.road, Coolidge, Ulma Doctor, Ray C, and on and on for getting me from very very naive novice to actually making things via CAD/CAM/CNC infrastructure in a well tooled home shop now.

My Son and I are doing this as a Pop & Son adventure. He's even heading off to a Design and Fabrication college come next spring. A cool adventure the past few years.

The project was simple: Plasma machine torch holder for my CNC table. From Aluminum 6061 stock with some variable torch holder placements. One of the pics has the stock I used.

What it took in the end was learning more and more about order of operations, multiple milling/drilling operations in a CNC mill, tool height offsets, aluminum feeds and speeds, just how essential an edge finder and solid square machinists vise really is!

....And of course to slow down a bit and enjoy the time I do get out there. :)

btw/ What I would LOVE next- An ATC for a SuperMax mill if anyone knows what I could get mounted to this....

A few pics!
View attachment 114367
...And #2.

View attachment 114368
View attachment 114369

Nice work! :encourage: Nice design and execution. Very professional!

Back