My Dad's Winchester Model 94 comes home

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hey all,
Last Saturday Night was the annual company Christmas party,
I was humbled by the gracious and heartfelt speech given by the owner.
I have worked for this company since 1986. It's a family run dealership. There are pros and cons to the family business.
It was a wonderful evening.
After dinner, my boss announced there was a gift under the tree for me. I opened it to find my dad's model 94 Winchester 30-30.

In 2006, Winchester closed it's plant in New Haven Conn. My dad was living in Tucson, he couldn't find a 94.
He called me and said, I need a 94, Winchester is closing, I can't find one. See if you can find one in your area.
I said, sure dad, what's a 94? He explained why he wanted one.
I called around and found one of two left about 2 hours away. I placed a hold on it and went up to buy it.
The next time I saw my dad, I gave it to him, he admired it and put it in the safe.
Dad died in 2017. I got it back.
I was selling off items to buy hobby machinist tools.
Long story short, my boss bought it. he put it in his safe.
Saturday night, I got it back. It's never been fired. It's a new 15 year old rifle.
Since the day I sold it, I regretted it. About a year ago I told my boss, I want to buy back the 94. He said, I don't sell guns.

8 days left :)

Attachments

• 1894.jpg
    1894.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 42
I am betting that the owner had this in mind when he bought it from you.
He was thinking of you back then.. And thinking of this day back then.

You were more valuable to him than you know.. And you sir have a friend that you may not realize.
Congratulations on two gifts.

Great to hear, Jeff a gun can be a sentimental thing; I have a '94 that mu dad's sister's husband bought when he returned from Europe after WW-1, it was a long octagon barrel in .30-30 cal., in a lot less than nice condition, as he was not one to take care of things, but was one hell of a hunter, mostly deer and birds and a very good friend of mine, I had it re blued and cleaned out the barrel, it looked like a plowed field inside! Subsequently, I had it re bored and rifled for .38-55 Win., which is the parent cartridge of .30-30, the Model 94 was originally offered in .38-55 cal.

Excellent! I was not able to get dad’s Savage 99 in .300 Savage from the chap who bought it, but was able to get 3 of my uncle’s one being HIS Savage 99 in .300 Savage. He and dad bought them at the same time so I am good.
Pierre

Great to hear, Jeff a gun can be a sentimental thing; I have a '94 that mu dad's sister's husband bought when he returned from Europe after WW-1, it was a long octagon barrel in .30-30 cal., in a lot less than nice condition, as he was not one to take care of things, but was one hell of a hunter, mostly deer and birds and a very good friend of mine, I had it re blued and cleaned out the barrel, it looked like a plowed field inside! Subsequently, I had it re bored and rifled for .38-55 Win., which is the parent cartridge of .30-30, the Model 94 was originally offered in .38-55 cal.
John, that's a great story. I would love to see it!
My dad said him and his buddies use to go deer hunting up in the canyons near Chico. He had his trusty Winchester 94- in 30-30. I understand they made over 7 million of these in the US plant.

Back