My carbide turning chisels.

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
My chisels are made of 1/2" square 304 stainless steel. The tool working length is about 10" and the handle length is about 19". The handle was made from a slab of black walnut, the ferrule is 1" heavy wall copper pipe. The tool works excellent. Made a couple for friends too.
lathe-chisels-017.jpglathe-chisels-018.jpglathe-chisels-020.jpglathe-chisels-033.jpg
Then I got ambitious and made a hollowing chisel out of 1/2" 304 stainless steel plate. I had a shop cnc plasma cut the blank. Then I used a 4" flap grinder and file and sandpaper to smooth and contour the shape. There is not a sharp or square edge anywhere on this tool to catch on anything when turning. It takes me about 8 hours not counting the machining to make one of these. I can get to the bottom of about an 7" or 8" vessel with this tool. It works awesome as well. The handle was made from a piece of curly oak I saved from a firewood pile.
chainsaw-mill-015.jpgchainsaw-mill-018.jpgchainsaw-mill-024.jpgchainsaw-mill-028.jpgfinished-hollower-003.jpgfinished-hollower-007.jpg

lathe-chisels-017.jpg lathe-chisels-018.jpg lathe-chisels-020.jpg lathe-chisels-033.jpg chainsaw-mill-015.jpg chainsaw-mill-018.jpg chainsaw-mill-024.jpg chainsaw-mill-028.jpg finished-hollower-001.jpg finished-hollower-003.jpg finished-hollower-007.jpg

I feel so ashamed as I run a CNC plasma cutter and haven't made anything like this yet! Nice work!

Where do you get the cutter tips?

attachment.php?attachmentid=60030&d=1378258068&thumb=1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work. Is that a bowl chisel?

Dangit... I better get around to posting the pictures of the dovetail chisels I made...

I feel so ashamed as I run a CNC plasma cutter and haven't made anything like this yet! Nice work!

Where do you get the cutter tips?

attachment.php?attachmentid=60030&d=1378258068&thumb=1.jpg
I use easy wood tools carbide cutters as I believe they are the best. as you can see in the picture they have a lot of angle on the cutter and they are razor sharp. They can also be sharpened on a diamond hone. they can be purchased at any wood craft store or numerous wood working supply stores.

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful work. Is that a bowl chisel?

Dangit... I better get around to posting the pictures of the dovetail chisels I made...

The round straight one is for bowls or spindles, the curved one is for hollow vessels.

Very nice chisel!

Thanks! Here's a new style that I have been working on, just cold rolled steel, 3/8" square. They use a diamond shaped carbide insert for detail work. I have these black oxide coated and they look pretty nice as well as work extremely well. I made one for myself and I sell some on a wood working site that I frequent. Here's a few pics. You can see the stack of blanks and the roughed out chisels, I sand them to 220 grit before I send them out for the black oxide coating, the come back looking like satin black chrome, pretty cool.
black-oxide-detailer-001.jpgblack-oxide-detailer-002.jpgblack-oxide-detailer-003.jpgblack-oxide-detailer-004.jpg

black-oxide-detailer-001.jpg black-oxide-detailer-002.jpg black-oxide-detailer-003.jpg black-oxide-detailer-004.jpg

Back