My AXA Tool Blocks From CDCO

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Late last week I ordered a dozen of the #250-101 tool blocks from Frank at CDCO. I got a email that 7 where shipped out on 5/25/20 and the balance was shipped out on 5/26/20. The first batch arrived today, after a little clean up (they were very oily in sealed plastic bags) and my usual change out of the set screws, I use a 8 mm x 1.25 mm x 20 mm square head, full dog point set screw, were now ready for the load up of the tooling that arrived from Glanze Tools, out of India (32.5x CCMT).

Over the years, I bought for me and work, somewhere between 350 and 400 blocks from CDCO, with never an issue, they all fit, were machine square and have worked as intended. Many of them opened up to take either 5/8” or 3/4” tool shanks.

37BB10FD-8AB1-4F06-993D-6E811851C412.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn’t realize the picture, showed the world, for all to see, my other bad habit, Mt Dew Code Red...........
Mine, too. I am a little frustrated that they stopped producing the throwback mountain dew, too, but at least I still have my code red.

joe

Mine, too. I am a little frustrated that they stopped producing the throwback mountain dew, too, but at least I still have my code red.

joe

throwback Mt Dew, made with real cane sugar, is very high on my want list, but normally the Code Red and the original are my choices, I’m very wary of the other flavors, as most of them contain Aspartame, Sucralos, or some other artificial sugar. I do not trust them and they all have a terrible aftertaste, if I was looking for a “diet” or reduced calorie beverage, Mt Dew would not be on the list

I have ordered a lot of AXA blocks from them also. No issues except for the soft set screws as noted but that isn't really CDCO's fault.

I bought 4 BXA holder from them. The adjusters where threaded so crooked that making height adjustments was a nightmare. I sold them cause I will never try to return something to them ever again.

Yrs later I ordered 4 more & the adjusters were fine. 2 of them had ugly grind marks on them before they were black oxidized. But whatever, they function fine & they are cheaper than anyone else. Those 4 are the only ones I currently own from CDCO. Most of mine are from Shars which I never had a problem with. But the Shars holders have changed & I don't like the new ones. If/when I need more I'll probably chance on ordering from CDCO again.

When I had a mini lathe I ordered a few AXA holder from them & had no issues. Don't ever try to return something, dealing with that Frank guy over the phone is a PITA for a measly $40. Still pisses me off every time I think about it.

My first and last order from CDCO tool company included an AXA tool post and about 8 tool holders along with quite a bit of other tooling. Most of the holders were ok but inconsistent how they say down on the wedge type tool post. One was so far out of whack that it couldn't be tightened up on the post. I tried contacting Frank about the issue and he did not return my emails. He was very johnny-on-the-spot taking my purchase inquiry and order but when I had an issue I could get no reply from him. I will not order from that outfit ever again.

Trying to return something and get a refund is pretty painful.

As I said, I’ve ordered close to 400 tool blocks and a D1-4 direct mount 5C collet chuck from CDCO, I’ve never ordered anything else from Frank, my experience has been nothing but stellar. I’ve had 5-6 times more delivery/quality issues with Grizzly or Shars.

I did make the tragic error of trying to talk to Frank once, I‘d rather have a root canal, than experience that ordeal again. The 5C chuck is very good, and except for serious manufacturing errors (not really Frank’s fault, just returns can be an issue, which is his fault), like the crooked height adjusters Darkzero had, for me they have been very good buy, I can not make them for what I can buy them for.

I’ve bought some blocks from Shars, Grizzly, All Industrial and a few others, they all appear the same as those from CDCO, but cost anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times more and take longer to get. My order history from CDCO is usually 3 days, from time of order to delivery.

Last edited:
Back