My alternative to Mitutoyo calipers

It's not clear to me that the iGaging has "absolute" capability, so you don't have to reset zero after every on/off cycle. Can you verify that it does or doesn't? This is a big convenience and why so far I prefer the Mitutoyo.

Thanks.

I have this iGaging caliper, which I *think* is the same as what the OP linked:

It is not billed as absolute, but it does seem to work like absolute. When I turn the caliper off, move the slide, and turn it back on- it does display the new value. That said, I always bring it to zero and hit the zero button anyway. Don't know if that's just a newbie bad habit or what, but it's shocking that the OP says he's never had to rezero. That seems skeptical to me, and would defeat one of the selling points for digital calipers, in that you can zero on some measurement and measure from that point. Anyway, they are nice calipers, but I fully plan on trying out the Shars Aventors next.

i bought a iGanging ball mics for measuring wall thickness of rifle brass. they read from exact to +- .007 in the same spot. sent them back. no more iGanging for me.

This is a serious question. Have you iGuaging owners checked the accuracy of these calipers initially and over time?

How about battery life on the iGaging calipers?
I have had a 6in absolute origin pair for 3+ years and yet to replace the battery. And I leave them on often. Too often.

Have you iGuaging owners checked the accuracy of these calipers initially and over time?
When making rough measurements I often grab my calipers first then a micrometer for the final check: the calipers always read the same or within a couple tenths. I can't say I have checked or calibrated to a gage block, but I recently worked with some ground 3/4" drill stock and the reading matched.

I found this video on the Adventor calipers. I just may buy a set of them also. Both my 15 year old mitutoyo ones are on their last legs. They have served me well.

The Igaging calipers I have say they are absolute and they are. They also sell non absolute models.

Roy

When making rough measurements I often grab my calipers first then a micrometer for the final check: the calipers always read the same or within a couple tenths. I can't say I have checked or calibrated to a gage block, but I recently worked with some ground 3/4" drill stock and the reading matched.

Thank you. Calipers are my most used measuring tool so they need to be accurate and reliable within their range. Mits are sort of the defacto standard for these things but even they need to be validated at least annually. I was just wondering if someone with one of the older Chinese models had calibrated or had them calibrated over time.

I regularly check the accuracy on mine, no issues. I trust them like a manual micrometer. What I meant by never having to re-zero is that they never lose their setting like the cheap ones that seem to skip 200 thou every other day.

Thank you. Calipers are my most used measuring tool so they need to be accurate and reliable within their range. Mits are sort of the defacto standard for these things but even they need to be validated at least annually. I was just wondering if someone with one of the older Chinese models had calibrated or had them calibrated over time.

Just throw them out. When you get the igaging you will never use them again

Back