my 9 " rebuild.

pics of paint drying are much better than videos of paint drying
steve

Your lathe is looking great, as someone who fairly recently finished a restoration of a SB9 I still remember how much work it was. That memory is fading fast though and I'm about to start into a drill press. :lmao:

Just one word of advice, I would clean out the paint in the holes on the apron before you try and assemble it or before you add another coat. Things like the gits oilers and the clutch etc are a pretty tight fit, the extra paint is going to make assembly difficult.

thanks for the replys guys. And as for the paint in the apron holes it just looks like it because of the cardboard they are sitting on I pluged and taped very thing :biggrin:

Nice machine! The ways look like they have some good scraping left. The cool thing I've discovered about some of the smaller machines is that they are often lightly used and just sold from one guy to the next....taking turns sitting in garages as a "project". Often a good cleanup really IS all that needs to be done. Looks like that is the case here.

Definitely have a look at McMaster-Carr for new oilers. I'm pretty sure SB never intended several of the oil holes to fit a gits, though. BUT, if there is a hole that will accept one, be sure to put one in and use the right oil. Otherwise, they plug quickly. They also sell "button" oilers which are the bee's knees.....kind of like a check valve for oil.

Your doing a great job! I like the way you painted the centers of the gears, nice touch.

:thumbsup:starting to look like a lathe again
Yup, I know what you mean, every time I put a completed component on my lathe I say the same thing. Starting to look like a lathe again.
Looking good, keep the pics coming.

If everything goes as planed today I will have it done and fired up (cant wate) and so far I have only lost one screw and that is an acomplishment for me lots of little fingers running around my house.:LOL:

Back