My 5" scale steamroller project

I know you don't have it running yet. But have you given any thought on how to stop it, like brakes

Steam traction engines and rollers in the US were rarely fitted with brakes. To control your speed when going downhill, you use the reverser.

Did a bit more yesterday before the rains set in. Fabricated a couple braces and the handle & quadrant for the clutch. I also built the detent, but didn't get it installed.
P1010039_zps86a11b08.jpg

And a couple apron bars from a manure spreader became rear canopy supports.
P1010041_zps8d5c6853.jpg

This past Tuesday, Kim had to go to a Director's meeting at the showgrounds. So while she got frustrated with a bunch of stubborn old men, I got to take my frustrations out. Some wit pointed out a couple weeks ago that "Steam rollers don't have strakes on the rear wheels..." Well, no sh-t, Sherlock! I just hadn't gotten around to removing them.

So grind the head off 80+ yo rivets, drive a screwdriver underneath and 'pop!' lots of heavy beating to drive the rivets out tho.

P6110001_zpsd4ed436e.jpg

P6110004_zps6b39bea6.jpg

I also finished (except for a spring) the detent latch on the clutch, using the one from the lever I used for the throttle.

P6110002_zps7bf90c73.jpg

My buddy Ben brought over a pair of these to see if they could be cut down for side water tanks... I think they're a little fat, and thin so they'll rust out in a few years - but they may have to do if I don't find 12" diameter ones.

P6110005_zps020b7933.jpg

Back