My 48" Straight Edge

I too did the homemade tool room stone with a diamond hone on my small surface plate. It worked ok, but I could never get rid of the slight “edge dive” from pushing by hand. The centers are nice and flat but it’s really tough because of friction. I got a set of the smaller tool room stones off eBay and it’s crazy how good they work and how they have solved many problems I couldn’t before. Like a set of B&S machinists squares for a too good to be true price off eBay. In checking them they weren‘t square and I couldn’t see or feel any nicks. Stoned them carefully and bingo, good to go.

I too did the homemade tool room stone with a diamond hone on my small surface plate. It worked ok, but I could never get rid of the slight “edge dive” from pushing by hand. The centers are nice and flat but it’s really tough because of friction. I got a set of the smaller tool room stones off eBay and it’s crazy how good they work and how they have solved many problems I couldn’t before. Like a set of B&S machinists squares for a too good to be true price off eBay. In checking them they weren‘t square and I couldn’t see or feel any nicks. Stoned them carefully and bingo, good to go.
That's a good result! :)
I have seen a tip on a video saying that salvaging old wrist pins (gudgeon pins) from out of the pistons of the bigger diesel engines when they are being reconditioned, or scrapped, gets you the makings of a nice little cylinder square reference. Case hardened, precision ground, etc.

that is a very nice straight edge! (envy...)

salvaging old wrist pins (gudgeon pins) from out of the pistons of the bigger diesel engines when they are being reconditioned, or scrapped, gets you the makings of a nice little cylinder square reference.
Hmmm, the largest Diesel engine I ever rebuilt was JD tractor and the wrist pins and pistons were reused. I have no idea how big a wrist pin is in an 18 wheeler or say a big crawler is but even though they are hardened they are not without wear. Now if you could find NOS or low time that would be something to look into.

a wipe with phosphoric acid on a rag will take care of the rust
So - some Coca-Cola then? :)
I don't have any phosphoric acid as was once in the overpriced little plastic bottle of "rust eater" gel, but I do have various other kinds of acid, so I am thinking a little citric acid, or the classic mix of spirit vinegar with a spoonful of salt?

It also occurs to me (following my earlier adventures with nickel plating), that to plate on a couple of microns of nickel (that's about 80 millionths in inches), using the "wet cotton wool swab" method might make such rust damage never happen again.

Of course, taking reasonable care of it, smearing a film of that blue corrosion block grease from Lear chemical (or similar), or maybe some WaxOyl, and keep covered and stored in a dry place would work just as well. There is ACF50. Maybe even way oil is sticky enough?

So - some Coca-Cola then? :)
I don't have any phosphoric acid as was once in the overpriced little plastic bottle of "rust eater" gel, but I do have various other kinds of acid, so I am thinking a little citric acid, or the classic mix of spirit vinegar with a spoonful of salt?

It also occurs to me (following my earlier adventures with nickel plating), that to plate on a couple of microns of nickel (that's about 80 millionths in inches), using the "wet cotton wool swab" method might make such rust damage never happen again.

Of course, taking reasonable care of it, smearing a film of that blue corrosion block grease from Lear chemical (or similar), or maybe some WaxOyl, and keep covered and stored in a dry place would work just as well. There is ACF50. Maybe even way oil is sticky enough?
yes sir-just about any acidic solution would be effective against the rust

i haven't used nickel plating for anything other than experimentation, i would be very interested in the outcome

a smear of way oil would be good- you'll just need to clean the straightedge before each use :eagerness:

there are many discussions about how to store straightedges properly when not in use
i'm a strong proponent of hanging them
but, i have heard argument that reference items should be supported on 3 points for storage as well

@graham-xrf if you stick to the organic acids, such as citric and acetic, they will chelate the oxides, but attack the metals hardly at all. CLR and the other rust removers work on the same principle. Stay away from muriatic and its sulfuric actid and copper sulfate and similar compounds as these will attack and pit the base metal. Sometimes they can be used, but carefully, and not in high concentrations.

I'm refurbishing a D1-6 faceplate with rust on it. The taper is rusted and it is a precision surface. I'm going with a wipe on vapo rust with a non abrasive pad to remove the loose rust, then I'm polishing it out with 800 and 2000 grit wet and dry.

My old 36” B&S camelback came with its original felt padded wood tray. But I keep it hung on the wall with the surface aimed slightly down and liberally coated with FluidFilm. That’s the only stuff I’ve found that will keep rust away here and it lasts forever.

yes sir-just about any acidic solution would be effective against the rust

i haven't used nickel plating for anything other than experimentation, i would be very interested in the outcome

a smear of way oil would be good- you'll just need to clean the straightedge before each use :eagerness:

there are many discussions about how to store straightedges properly when not in use
i'm a strong proponent of hanging them
but, i have heard argument that reference items should be supported on 3 points for storage as well
Camel-back straight edge stress-relieved castings, I have read, store very well when hung. This one, not being camel-back, has the 3-point hardened balls supports. They look to be placed apart at pehaps the Bessel points, and I think I will store it that way.

It seems to be set up such that it was scraped parallel to the supports, or maybe the supports were driven in afterwards, but however it was done, it does look like if it was put down on a level surface, the scraped surface would also be level. I will be checking this point soon when I have opportunity.

Where it is right now, though comfy enough, is not to be where it will finally be used and kept. I shelled out on it when I saw the deal come up, but my shop (outbuilding), though constructed, :) :) :) , still needs it's floor covering added. Right now, in there, is only a school-style folding wooden chair, a trusty old Black & Decker workmate, a box of Pozidriv fixing screws, and a coffee mug.

@graham-xrf if you stick to the organic acids, such as citric and acetic, they will chelate the oxides, but attack the metals hardly at all. CLR and the other rust removers work on the same principle. Stay away from muriatic and its sulfuric actid and copper sulfate and similar compounds as these will attack and pit the base metal. Sometimes they can be used, but carefully, and not in high concentrations.

I'm refurbishing a D1-6 faceplate with rust on it. The taper is rusted and it is a precision surface. I'm going with a wipe on vapo rust with a non abrasive pad to remove the loose rust, then I'm polishing it out with 800 and 2000 grit wet and dry.
It will be a thing of beauty!

I have figured out that when irons and steels, perhaps excluding those alloys that have the assistance of chromium and suchlike, rust madly, and deeply if they have their micro-surfaces chemically exposed to air, such as when they have been treated by acids, or steam-cleaned, or recently cut. The the rusting gets going instantly unless stopped while it is still wet. After steam-cleaning, I saw my lathe bed turn orange in about 30 seconds!

It seems that the process can be halted by treating with neutralizing alkali, like sodium carbonate, or bi-carbonate. Simply put in boiling hot water for a while, "seals" the surface, they say, but I think it is the oxidation to magnetite, which if oiled afterwards, gives it the protection. It is absolutely true that if the surface is polished in the way you describe, it so reduces the exposed micro-surface area, that it resists rusting, even without further protection.

While the dark brown (oily) patina on the 4-jaw chucks that came with my South Bend 9 has it's vintage charm, I much prefer the look of (oily) shiny steel, especially the way it accents a piece of precision vintage iron that is also stating that it has been well cared for. I guess I just hate rust!

My first adventures with nickel protection was when recovering a countershaft spindle from the filthy rusty mess it had become from neglect.

Nickel Electrolysis-5.png

Even a spindle inside what should have been swimming in oil, if left to stand long enough, takes a print in rust of where the oil should have been coming in.

Spindle Rust1.jpg

.. and it's future will not ever be like the next picture ..

Spindle Rust2.jpg

I have made an ad-hoc plating bath for it, out of plastic drainpipe..

Dev Spindle Plating Bath (Drainpipe).jpg

So - for something as important as my 48" straight-edge reference, I may well use some nickel. I understand Robert Renzetti used some kind of low(ish) temperature silver solder to fill rust pits in a surface plate, and then scrape it back. A bit like old-school car bodies were "leaded". I am thinking that if the rust pits on the end of the straight-edge were treated this way, then all of the rest of it need not be scraped down to get it all below the depth of the rust pits.

Last edited:
Back