My 48" Straight Edge

You might not need to treat the rust pits at all. All you really look for is contact area, and in the number of contact points per inch. Scraping has an averaging effect if done correctly, so missing a spot or 2 won't have much of a difference in the 10-20 rounds of printing/scraping.

If you solder fill, you have to be careful in wipe-downs, that you don't get anything embedded in the soft solder. It can make your day turn bad, and quickly.

I'd clean it up first and print it on a surface plate before doing any refurbishment planning...

You might not need to treat the rust pits at all. All you really look for is contact area, and in the number of contact points per inch. Scraping has an averaging effect if done correctly, so missing a spot or 2 won't have much of a difference in the 10-20 rounds of printing/scraping.

If you solder fill, you have to be careful in wipe-downs, that you don't get anything embedded in the soft solder. It can make your day turn bad, and quickly.

I'd clean it up first and print it on a surface plate before doing any refurbishment planning...
This is what is so tricky about all of this. The old axiom “do no harm” is so true. But the times I’ve messed that up through ignorance is maddening.

OK - thanks for the tip! The very same caution would apply to games with epoxy in the rust pits.
I am already looking about (and saving) for a granite big enough to set it down on.

This is despite the videos by LookCreations showing how he "step printed" his way up from a 24" x 24" surface plate, and a 24" straight edge, to a 36", then using that for a 54", and I think ending up with a 72".

This is despite the videos by LookCreations showing how he "step printed" his way up from a 24" x 24" surface plate, and a 24" straight edge, to a 36", then using that for a 54", and I think ending up with a 72".
YouTube is chockablock with contrary info. I’d love to show up with the crew that did the plate calibrations at Oxtools and have them check all those.

I mean it could be possible but so are aliens, and Bigfoot.

it is *possible* to stepwise get bigger and bigger, but as Connely says, it is a very advanced thing to do....

Back