My 10EE VFD Conversion

I may have some 92" belts that i would donate to the cause . I'll check and let you know. My CVA ( or the early round dial 10ee ) only had the idler on the left side. The belt should be just long enough to not need to loosen the motor bolts to put on.

In your shaft design it looks like it would be easy to add two more keys if you felt you needed more.

Dave

Very very nice.

For over a decade I lusted for a 10EE. The shape just screams to be smoothed out with filler and then painted in some bright metallic colours. Something that machines precisely needs some bling.

I gave up my quest for one, and decided a Colchester Chipmaster will have to do. I am picking one up on Monday. I haven't decided what size motor to use to repower it from the 575 volt it has now, but your installation makes me lean towards the absurdly large 5 HP

There is nothing wrong with a good chipmaster. I believe it ran the same size Matrix clutch as my Smart Brown 1024. That clutch and a variator ( reeves drive type kind of ) makes the lathe a great candidate for a vfd conversion. If everything is working there is no need for a vector duty motor like the Blue or Black Max.

As to motor size, I have some opinions from rehabbing my 1024 if you start a new thread on the Chipmaster sometime. Dave

I may have some 92" belts that i would donate to the cause . I'll check and let you know. My CVA ( or the early round dial 10ee ) only had the idler on the left side. The belt should be just long enough to not need to loosen the motor bolts to put on.

In your shaft design it looks like it would be easy to add two more keys if you felt you needed more.

Dave

Dave,

I would be deeply great full for the donation if you have them.

The key in the shaft is quiet long. No chance of the gear slipping.

Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only can only say WOW just WOW! great job.

There is nothing wrong with a good chipmaster. I believe it ran the same size Matrix clutch as my Smart Brown 1024. That clutch and a variator ( reeves drive type kind of ) makes the lathe a great candidate for a vfd conversion. If everything is working there is no need for a vector duty motor like the Blue or Black Max.

As to motor size, I have some opinions from rehabbing my 1024 if you start a new thread on the Chipmaster sometime. Dave
Dave I will definitely start a new thread on the chipmaster some time after Monday.

I looked and have lots of sizes but not 92. I pick them up on ebay. Gates Tripower are uniform enough that you don't need a matched set. Dave

Back