Multifix qctp holders a big benefit over wedge type?

but the cost of the tool holders is holding me back.
Multifix route would be expensive due to the cost of the holders,
They are more, but far less than a branded Aloris tool holder. Similar style holders..
Pewetool AD2075 - 43€ (approx $51 USD - euro to us conversion)
PM BXA 250-201 - $17
Alorix BXA-1 $78

I'm guessing 15 total holders... so in total about $500 more than just the wedge style PM holders. Not insignificant but in the long run, if it's worth it, not too bad.

Pro Tip: if you find something expensive, find something similar that is even more expensive, then your original find sounds like a deal. A good way to rationalize spending a lot on your hobbies.

the lack of interchangeability/standard would be a concern
This is for sure the real bummer.... you are totally trusting the brand/manufacturer stays in business. Pewetools appears to be a one man show, great product, but who is going to pick up his line if he closes shop.

Last edited:
I think the lack of standardization is more about manufacturing tolerances than differences in design. The Create Multifix holders had some inconsistency for a period of time which caused fit issues with other posts. I don't have experience with AXA but the Pewe holders and posts fit every older Multifix version i have or had over the years. That may change in the future but what doesn't. Dave

I have 3 lathes with different Qctp on each one. A Phase2 CXA on the 15” lathe, it is fine but I do end up swinging the post when I change the compound angle. So on my 11” Smart and Brown, I got a Chinese multifix style E size. I quite like it. Strictly speaking it is a bit large in that I had to notch and skim the holders to accommodate a small step on top of the compound and a little bit off the bottom of most of the holders. I like the range of holders - only got one with the 1” opening, and the round holders with MT sleeves (then I made boring bar sleeves). I prefer the 40P Qctp to the aloris style dovetail (maybe just my personal preference). Figuring out how to machine the relief notch took some thinking, but an excellent result in the end.

I also have an 11” Standard Modern. Sort of weird, but it is a smaller machine than the 11” Smart and Brown! I got an A size for the SM lathe - I got a combination of the 75mm and 90mm long holders (16mm or 20mm tall) - again they have quite a number of options. It is made in China (came via a friend of a friend etc (about $900 CAD delivered for the post and 8 assorted holders). Quality seems good, I have no idea about interchangeability with other manufacturers of this style. The A size seems like a very small post, and some tooling is high on the post, however the E size would be too large (obviously, since I already had an E size for the S&B, I tried it on the SM). I don’t know the horse power rating on the various Qctp, but the SM is only a 3/4hp motor, where as the S&B is a 3hp motor. Though the lathes are both 11” swing, the S&B is a lot more machine. In retrospect I would have hated the A size holder on the S&B, but the A size is appropriate for the SM.

No regrets in going to the 40P, even though I had used the wedge style Phase2 for several years on the 15” lathe. That said the wedge style is a good system, I’m not going to ditch it (and ~15 holders) in favour of a 40P style. Likely I’d need to go to a B size on the larger machine (so still not interchangeable between machines in my shop). I expect with the aloris style there are even more holder options than with the 40P system, but either system has more option available than I’ll ever use.

Another questions/thought I had was...

How repeatable are these when rotating to different positions? Mainly concerned with returning to the most common positions for turning/boring which would be exactly parallel or perpendicular to the center line. I assume once you lock it down to your compound you never need to adjust it. But for those critical operations like parting where setup is key, do you still find your self fine tuning by loosening and tightengin down the toolpost? You only get to quickly adjust every 9 degrees. If so, that seems to invalidate some of it's value.
I still occasionally reposition the post (I use the 29 degree compound for threading - just a personal preference, works well for me). I suppose I could use the 9 degree feature and set the compound at 27 degrees, then could drop in tooling at zero degrees and 90 degrees - advancing at 27 degrees would still achieve most of the benefits you get from having the compound set at 29 degrees.

Anyway, I still occasionally tweak the tool post position on my 40P system.

I'm guessing 15 total holders... so in total about $500 more than just the wedge style PM holders. Not insignificant but in the long run, if it's worth it, not too bad.
That's enough of an additional cost that there has to be a significant enough improvement, so far the Multifix looks like a nice to have feature and not have to have for my uses yet. I don't buy any name brand tool holders, the cheap ones have been working just fine for me, but I am considering upgrading my tool post to something better, so holding off until I finally decide on if I want to go with a Multifix style.

One downside of the multi fix is the strap that locks down the tool holder. That breaks your done!

Multifix parts are available. I've never seen a broken strap but the hinge has a spring loaded pin to hold it in place and if the casting blows out around the pin the part is toast. the Pewe strap uses two pins which I consider a huge improvement over the original design. Dave

After further looking, the dimensions of the multfix tool posts is the limited height adjustment range. They are shorter than a comparable Aloris style tool post.

Do others find the limited height adjustment range to be an issue?

For example, the multifix A size has a height of only 45mm. The AD2075 holder (20mm opening for tools, 75mm long) is 40mm tall. For rigidity purposes, you want the tool holder to be fully engaged with the tool post. Since the tool post is only 5mm taller than the holder, that only gives you a 5mm range of adjustment.

If you mount your tool post with a spacer so you have some range above and below center line for a given size of tool holders you are limited to just 2-3mm above and 2-3mm below. Obviously, no adjustment range needed once you are on center line.... but different style insert holders and sizes, boring bars, etc... that range seems a bit tight.

For a 45mm compound to centerline, a 16mm (approximately) spacer is needed to raise the toolpost using 16mm (5/8") tooling.

In comparison, an Alorix BXA toolpost is 67mm tall, holders are about 45mm tall, so you have 22mm adjustment range. Maybe that's way more than needed, but it reduces the need for extra shims, spacers, etc.. whether that be on the toolpost mounting itself or in the holders if you have various tool holder sizes... say 1/2" to 3/4" toolholders.

The size E multifix height is 57mm, taller but the diameter at 75mm and much longer holders it's not the right size for my lathe.

At the moment, I'm on the fence jumping into the multi fix. As always, I may be misguided in my thinking.

I love my Multifix clones from Create Tool in.... you guess it!.. China. AFA mixing different brands, a local older friend uses mixed brand holders. I'm happy not having to reset my TP if I need to move it like you do with the Aloris type TP. I've found no problems with height adjustment on my G4003G. BTW, Create Tool's shipping is usually pretty fast and fair via DHL.

Back