MT5 to 5C insert for my 13" south bend

Rangerjoe2

Active User
Registered
Guys I need some help. I bought a milling attachment for my 13" south bend and need some info on what to look for when buying a MT5 to 5C spindle sleeve. I've read that some of them won't fit and I need some guidance. My lathe has the D1-4 camloc spindle. Is there a certain measurement that I need so I can get the right one?

Not to be dumb, but why not use a collet chuck like what Grizzly sells?

As for the Morse Taper question, there is a 4.5 special used on many Southbends. Some people have stated that it really is just a 5 that has the tailcut off and faced off on the frt. I can not confirm that, as my lathe is a Jet clone and it uses a #5 that has been trimmed on both ends. I needed a spindle adapter sleeve and was able to get one to try and it that fits properly and measured it. I then bought a new one and cut it down. $10 cost
Pierre

Furpo,

Thanks for the info. I have a 4.5.

I'm trying to keep run out and cost to a minimum, which is why I'm going with the sleeve. I'm going to make my own draw bar etc for it.

Furpo,

Thanks for the info. I have a 4.5.

I'm trying to keep run out and cost to a minimum, which is why I'm going with the sleeve. I'm going to make my own draw bar etc for it.

Ok that makes sense to me. No moneybags in my closet either.
Pierre

Ok so I don't have a 4 1/2! Apparently the taper on south bends is specific to them. Nice. The search begins.

Yes, it is a proprietary South Bend Taper.

I thought the sleeves were very get-able though? I thought when they did show up, they were usually $50?

Bernie

Just remember, any SB from heavy 10 to 16 inch all have the same spindle.
ANY South Bend with 2-1/4 -8tpi spindle.

Bernie

I would defiantly pay $50 for one for my 16” if someone knows of one!
I have a MT# 4.5 to 5C Collet for sale!
Furpo

Back