MT5 Test Bar

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I purchased an MT5 test bar made in USA. It was advertised as "Each piece is inspected for concentricity within 0.0001”

After installing it I'm not sure what I am looking at. I don't thing bar is concentric. I'll try and explain without a video, hopefully the photos will be enough.

I first checked the concentricity for my spindle. With my dial indicator zero run out.

20220919_175514.jpg

On one side of the bar, I zero the indicator and without spinning the spindle I move to the tail stock end. It still reads zero or very close. For this test I think this indicator is going to be close enough.

20220919_175214.jpg

20220919_175235.jpg

Now at this point when I spin the bar 180° it almost 2 thousand out. And if I move back to the head, it doesn't come back to zero it is still 1 thousand out.

20220919_175323.jpg

20220919_175342.jpg

I hooked up two indicators, I can't say that I have a handle on it yet. My thinking is the bar is the problem. Why would one side pretty much be straight and then when I rotate it 180° it reads off.

I zeroed both indicators at the spindle then move to the tail stock end, about .5 thousand off maybe.

20220920_100152.jpg

20220920_100223.jpg

Rotated the shaft/spindle 180° and the indicators read 2 thousand out. Move back to the spindle and they both read about 1 thousand out.

20220920_100241.jpg

Without rotating the spindle again, I zeroed the indicators and moved back to the tail stock end, they read 1 thousand out. What am I missing? By the way I marked the bar and the spindle with a felt pen and then rotated the bar to different locations in the spindle I can repeat all these measurements on the bar at the same locations.

20220920_100425.jpg

Blame the machine or the messenger? Check the spindle taper for even the tinyest nicks or dirt that could deflect the test bar. Finally, if the machine preforms adequately, why worry?

I have checked for nicks and dirt, cleaned both surfaces more than once. Even after that no matter how I install the bar in the spindle, I can repeat all these measurements on the bar at the same locations each time. I marked the bar and the spindle I have rotated it every 45° in the spindle.

Since the measurements follow the bar and not the spindle wouldn't that indicate that bar is ground correctly.

Wow that Amazon add is deceitful. Your bar was not made in the USA but India. But at least it was in the US when you ordered.

You're rotating the bar then returning to your origin, there is runout in the bar it won't return if you rotate the bar.

Wow that Amazon add is deceitful. Your bar was not made in the USA but India. But at least it was in the US when you ordered.

Yeah, After I posted that it was made in the USA, I was looking for the manufactures address or phone number and seen that it says the bar is in the USA there is nowhere that says it is made in the USA.

You're rotating the bar then returning to your origin, there is runout in the bar it won't return if you rotate the bar.

I agree, the bar is defective in my mind. How am I supposed to line up my headstock with a bar that has run out?

I did a couple more test using dead centers and my DTI. It looks like right at the taper there is (I'm not sure how to type it) I little less than one thousand run out. That can't be good.

20220920_125036.jpg

20220920_124912.jpg

Time to chuck up the bar in a 4-jaw and turn that taper true. Opportunity to use the tool post grinder.

Back