Mr Pete222

If I were Mr. Petersen, I’d probably prefer not to be the subject of a post where strangers dissect my mood, popularity, and or well being, just because I didn’t post a video when I normally would.

This person has done some really awesome stuff to his.

) but I have considered suggesting to one or other of the more established experienced/skilled machinist youtubers (one of those that uses and is used to proper old iron), that they buy a Chinese 7x from one of the reputable importers and do a series on their version of fettling, upgrading and getting the most out of it.

If I were Mr. Petersen, I’d probably prefer not to be the subject of a post where strangers dissect my mood, popularity, and or well being, just because I didn’t post a video when I normally would.

LOL, Yah, C'Mon guys!

Put this stuff in the YT video comments section where it belongs.
dunno.gif

Price of fame.

I think MrPete is big, old and ugly enough to bear it. :grin:

Besides, it's all been pretty respectful (as the fine fella deserves).

Yep, I've subbed to his channel for a while now. His videos are really rather good.

I suspect some people are getting the wrong end of the stick here. I'm not particularly looking for recommendations for mini lathe YouTube content; I think I'm subbed to most of the channels that exist.

I was just talking about how it would be good watching to see ToT go back to the mini lathe he bought and go to town on it for a series of videos. A proper series, where he ekes out every ounce of potential the ugly duckling has.

I think MrPete is big, old and ugly enough to bear it. :grin:

Besides, it's all been pretty respectful (as the fine fella deserves).

Yep, I've subbed to his channel for a while now. His videos are really rather good.

I suspect some people are getting the wrong end of the stick here. I'm not particularly looking for recommendations for mini lathe YouTube content; I think I'm subbed to most of the channels that exist.

I was just talking about how it would be good watching to see ToT go back to the mini lathe he bought and go to town on it for a series of videos. A proper series, where he ekes out every ounce of potential the ugly duckling has.
When I retire I want to buy and rehab small machines to resell for fun money. A hobby that pays me so to speak.

I had a brief fantasy that I could buy these 7x machines new and fix them up to my standards and resell those.

Once I did some thinking I realized I wouldn’t be able to turn even a minor profit if I bought them retail, and buying, storing and fixing a container full just does not seem feasible.

Who knows, maybe I’ll farm cats and sell artisanal cat milk to rich soccer moms with too much money.

If I had FU money I would start a line of high end scented candles that gave off a strong fart smell at random interval's, and throw high end parties across the globe into chaos.

When I retire I want to buy and rehab small machines to resell for fun money. A hobby that pays me so to speak.

I had a brief fantasy that I could buy these 7x machines new and fix them up to my standards and resell those.

Once I did some thinking I realized I wouldn’t be able to turn even a minor profit if I bought them retail, and buying, storing and fixing a container full just does not seem feasible.

Who knows, maybe I’ll farm cats and sell artisanal cat milk to rich soccer moms with too much money.

If I had FU money I would start a line of high end scented candles that gave off a strong fart smell at random interval's, and throw high end parties across the globe into chaos.

You would probably be working for $5 /hr but if you enjoyed the work that might be acceptable. I think it would be feasible to fix up 7" lathes and resell them at a "profit" (see my initial comment on the value of your labor). The bottom of the barrel on Ebay seem to sell for $450, sell them for $1450 and you would have have $1000 to cover parts, labor and profit.

Of course if you bought in bulk you might get a better price, but 100 at even $300 ea is $30,000 and how long would you be working on 100 of them to pay off that initial investment.

Considering LMS and MM sell their better spec'd 7x16" lathes for $1200-1600, a true custom finished, 100% ready to run could potentially sell at a price pushing $2000. Certainly that price would cut down on the potential market, but at the rate of production of one guy doing the work, that might be a big enough market and that higher price might get you $6 or 7 / hr. ;)

Cowells sell a 3-1/2x8" gap bed (4.7") lathe for $2500+ so there is a market out there if you are serious.

for a retirement project I am shooting for the guys who like to brag about restoring a boat, car, etc... but need to have someone machine custom and/or obsolete parts.

Yeah, I can't imagine a custom conversion of new Chinese 7x machines business ever being profitable.

You might make a bit of pocket money offering various really high quality custom made upgrade parts (easily fitted, accurately and beautifully graduated leadscrew handwheels or even as-lovingly-made replacement carriage/cross-slide/top-slide handwheel/dial/screw assemblies, beefed up T-Slotted cross-slides/top-slides, that sort of thing).

Also you could offer to take people's owned Chinese 7xs and fettle and upgrade them to your gold standard as a service.

Neither of these is likely to allow you to wipe your rear with finest silk loo roll though. :grin:

for a retirement project I am shooting for the guys who like to brag about restoring a boat, car, etc... but need to have someone machine custom and/or obsolete parts.

Yeah, that seems more profitable and I’ve already done this.

Problem is if you don’t have a shop away from home you then have all kinds of random people coming to the house.

You would probably be working for $5 /hr but if you enjoyed the work that might be acceptable. I think it would be feasible to fix up 7" lathes and resell them at a "profit" (see my initial comment on the value of your labor). The bottom of the barrel on Ebay seem to sell for $450, sell them for $1450 and you would have have $1000 to cover parts, labor and profit.

Of course if you bought in bulk you might get a better price, but 100 at even $300 ea is $30,000 and how long would you be working on 100 of them to pay off that initial investment.

Considering LMS and MM sell their better spec'd 7x16" lathes for $1200-1600, a true custom finished, 100% ready to run could potentially sell at a price pushing $2000. Certainly that price would cut down on the potential market, but at the rate of production of one guy doing the work, that might be a big enough market and that higher price might get you $6 or 7 / hr. ;)

Cowells sell a 3-1/2x8" gap bed (4.7") lathe for $2500+ so there is a market out there if you are serious.

I like the cowells offerings, but they like money more than I like their lathes.

$$$$$$$$$$$/$$$$$$$$$$$

Back