Moving

parshal

Registered
Registered
We've closed on a new place about 30 minutes away and now I get to figure out how to move my 1340GT, 833TV and monster gun safe. My plan was to move them to pallets like they were delivered using the tractor and straps which is how I got them moved onto the stands in the current space. One guy in the tractor and two on each side of machines was easy enough.

I'm building an 11' x 40' shop with heated concrete inside an existing pole barn. It will have a 4' wide, 7' tall door where I can bring machines in with a pallet jack. Herein lies my issue since I won't be able to get the tractor into the shop. I see folks here have engines hoists but I can't seem to figure out how they were able to get the legs around the pallet to get the boom over the machine. It would seem a gantry crane would be best.

What are folks doing to get machines off a pallet and onto the stands?

For my 1236T, when it arrived, I lifted the lathe with the pallet vertically using my hydraulic jack and put cinder blocks underneath so that the engine hoist could get underneath it. For the mill, you might need to use smaller steps in raising it so that it doesn’t tip over, don’t have that concern with a lathe.

When I had to get my mill off the pallet, I just moved the engine hoist as close as I could, put my straps around the mill and used the cherry picker to sneak it over to the edge of the pallet. A quick re-jig of the straps and it was off the pallet and on its way to it's permanent home in the shop.

Gotta go slow and gotta make the mill moves small while it's still on the pallet and not fully on the engine hoist though. Also, I was never more than a couple inches off the concrete floor in case it tipped or the hoist failed

Baby steps.....

Last edited:
Most lathes are top heavy and tip over very easy. Can you access the rafters overhead? Depending on construction and I mean be very careful as I am only guessing here, slide a oak 4x4 or pine 6 x 6 in the rafters spanning as many as you can and use a chain hoist for safety. I have seen lathes tipped over and it's not a pretty site. You can also crib up under the bed. Use hard wood and not pine if you can get it.

I will have no access to the rafters in the new place but I'm going to talk to the contractor and see if he can beef up the ceiling in that area so I could add something.

Most lathes are top heavy and tip over very easy. Can you access the rafters overhead? Depending on construction and I mean be very careful as I am only guessing here, slide a oak 4x4 or pine 6 x 6 in the rafters spanning as many as you can and use a chain hoist for safety. I have seen lathes tipped over and it's not a pretty site
I learned this first hand back in the eighties . :grin:

Back