Moving a Logan 10 x20 lathe

Started to disassemble the lathe today. I didn't bring all the required tools.
The electric motor, mounts, guard looks to have few bolts/pins to remove.
Monday I will take my equipment hauler trailer over with my cordless impact and tools
Gallon freezer bags and some old blankets.

Only thing really did was to figure out what tools I need, and wasn't sure on to use my pick up or the equipment hauler.
Its only a mile or so, 4 stop lights or signs and 5 turns,

I thought...... we thought the seller and I whom are friends the lathe came with 4 jaw chuck, which it doesn't.
Now to decide if need one on this lathe or not,

Has a K D quick change, (LOW PROFILE ) ? that I need to buy more of the tool holder pieces. for my live cutters ( Ridgid veneer trimmers with DIY lathe mounts . or a New quick change.

The dogging wrench for the tail stock is missing 7/8 box

I ordered in new live center and dead center Straight shank, ( cheat I live cut wood between centers allot allot.

I did one pic,but the lathe is shrink wrapped, not much to look at . YET LOL Like none of have seen a old lathe before .

I don't want to but thinking of leaving the spindle/gear head with chuck on because I worried about realigning it..
Thoughts and advise is welcome .. The lathe is heavy I know for me trying man handle it is not to work...
This lathe is not worth anyone getting hurt in anyway...

Will be ordering a
and a

Monday is the day.

Pulling the spindle is not a big deal, and will reduce the weight but I would not remove the headstock as that will require realignment. Either way you are going to want an engine hoist or several strong people to move the bed as it is still 200-300 pounds stripped.

Another useful item for disassembling the lathe are wire ties with tags to help organize and label parts. Also take photos of assemblies to help with re-assembly. Never fails with me that going to put it back together immediately turns into a month after I took it apart so photos help me remember how it was supposed to look.

Up date,
My friend and I managed to get my lathe home, so far unbroken. My friend managed to get the fork lift stuck, He tried turning around down hill soft dirt.. He stuck ... LOL I had stop him from spinning the tires and I had turn around with lathe on the trailer hooked to my ram 2500. pull him out. It was no big deal,, the rest went pretty much as planned.
Followed the link aaron_w posted. plus everyone's advise,, Thank you .
I disassembled or removed everything except the bed, chip pan from legs.
motor. spindle, gear head motor mounting brackets apron carriage. tail stock cross slide and transmission/lead screw.
The motor mounting system and guards is almost unbelievably heavy.
Always easy taking something apart ...
Should be moving the in tomorrow .and start assembling .. I need to also clean the crud out EVERYWHERE LOL.
So far so good ...

I wish I could post photos ,, I replaced the battery in my lap top.
Now I cannot download photos from cell phone to my PC.
It sucks being born when there was only 48 states and figuring out this computer stuff.

But what are the pipes used for? They look to big for smoking pipes, super decorative water pipes, fancy aquarium set ups?
I make weed pipes,,, mostly as gifts and for me. I know exotic wooden matching pool cue/ pipe set would sale.
But I am into this just for fun. This lathe lets me do allot more inlays ..
Not really worried selling anything. And super picky who make them for and don't need the money .
I probably shouldn't of bought this lathe .
Retired and disabled and own my home or everything I have I pretty much go camping fishing as much as possible or to Arizona to get away from the freezing cold winters here.
I put a security system in, blow the water pipes out and leave..

Back