Moving a Logan 10 x20 lathe

Headhunter Pipe Co

Registered
Registered
I will be unloading the lathe from a car trailer into a spare bed room .
I have no choice but spray the lathe with solvents and denatured alcohol. to get the oil off.
Before the lathe is loaded i will remove the motors shielding and the motor.
Before thee lathe goes in my home i will remove the carriage cross slide and tail shaft and the stand just make.
I covered the bedroom floor with 1 inch plywood
The lathe is about 540 pounds
Trying to remove as much weight as possible .
1 inch 2x4 pieces of plywood to lay down on the floor to roll or slide the lathe on.
The lathe is 17 inches wide with motor and guard removed.
My shop is not temperature controlled , this why bought this lathe.
This link shows photos of a Logan lathe like mine

If any of you have some foresight on me moving this lathe without anyone or anything getting hurt and ME not breaking the lathe. that would be great.

I have already remove 3 lathes out the spare bedroom

You move these things with your mind, not muscles.

I’ve also had luck asking members here for help, highly recommended and you might make a new friend.

John
I live pretty remote , I am 165 miles from the nearest big city,
i have some friends that are big strong and young.

I have confidence I can move the lathe,,, if the guys I have helping me are careful
Thanks John

Logans are known to be quite heavy for their size so anything you can remove beforehand will help.
Motor, tailstock, and even the carriage and leadscrew could come off if you can manage it.
-M
The motor and tail stock no issues , but i heard the carriage isn't so simple to remove. I have never remove a carriage
Yes 540 pounds be nice to remove a couple hundred pounds

The motor and tail stock no issues , but i heard the carriage isn't so simple to remove. I have never remove a carriage
Yes 540 pounds be nice to remove a couple hundred pounds

The carriage is easy to remove and will reduce the weight significantly. I have a Powermatic Logan which at its core is essentially the same lathe as yours. I was able to get the weight down to probably 300-350lbs for the bed/headstock.

There is a mount for the leadscrew at the tailstock end, you just undo the bolt and slide off the mount being careful to support the lead screw. Then you just run the carriage down to the end of the bed. The carriage will run right off the gear track, then you hand push it the last few inches and it will come right off the bed. Be careful taking it off as the carriage weighs more than 100lbs. It is also kind of awkward so make sure you have something to set it on that won't bang up the underside where is rides on the lathe or mess up the now exposed gears of the apron.

It goes back on the same way, just line it up, and slide it back on the bed until the gears engage again.

Make sure you have the leadscrew supported during this process as it can be easily damaged if you don't.

You can remove the gearbox and lead screw but that is a bit more involved so I didn't. If you don't remove the gearbox and lead screw replace the mounting bracket so the lead screw isn't just hanging out there unsupported.

Mr Pete 222 has a video disassembling a 10" Logan, your 11" comes apart the same way. I found it very helpful.

I would also suggest buying or renting a heavy duty cart. I used a garden cart with an 800lb capacity to move my lathe in. I like the garden cart because it has pneumatic tires so can move well over rough ground.
Furniture dollies would work if you have smooth concrete and will be fine once you are in the house. These usually have a weight capacity around 1000lbs and are pretty cheap. Places like Uhaul often rent them as well.

Last edited:
The carriage is easy to remove and will reduce the weight significantly. I have a Powermatic Logan which at its core is essentially the same lathe as yours. I was able to get the weight down to probably 300-350lbs for the bed/headstock.

There is a mount for the leadscrew at the tailstock end, you just undo the bolt and slide off the mount being careful to support the lead screw. Then you just run the carriage down to the end of the bed. The carriage will run right off the gear track, then you hand push it the last few inches and it will come right off the bed. Be careful taking it off as the carriage weighs more than 100lbs. It is also kind of awkward so make sure you have something to set it on that won't bang up the underside where is rides on the lathe or mess up the now exposed gears of the apron.

It goes back on the same way, just line it up, and slide it back on the bed until the gears engage again.

Make sure you have the leadscrew supported during this process as it can be easily damaged if you don't.

You can remove the gearbox and lead screw but that is a bit more involved so I didn't. If you don't remove the gearbox and lead screw replace the mounting bracket so the lead screw isn't just hanging out there unsupported.

Mr Pete 222 has a video disassembling a 10" Logan, your 11" comes apart the same way. I found it very helpful.

I would also suggest buying or renting a heavy duty cart. I used a garden cart with an 800lb capacity to move my lathe in. I like the garden cart because it has pneumatic tires so can move well over rough ground.
Furniture dollies would work if you have smooth concrete and will be fine once you are in the house. These usually have a weight capacity around 1000lbs and are pretty cheap. Places like Uhaul often rent them as well.
Thanks' tons for the information I think I will remove everything down to the gear box,
The video nailed it, All your advise I liked .
Thank you for taking the time to look that video up You already saved me a trip on the Allen wrenches I cant say thank you enough.
Real deal dinners and beer is on me if come through town. I am in Winnemucca NV.. AGAIN THANK YOU

My Heavy 10 weighs about 1000 lbs on the cabinet base. I had help (mostly just for safety) getting it down off the lift-gate truck. Once down I moved it solo using pipe rollers, a pinch (pry) bar and come-along. I even had to get it up over a 4 in. rise. SLOW and easy, but no problems. Didn't bother to remove anything to reduce weight.

Back