Moving 12x36 Lathe Down Into Basement

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I managed to scoop up a Grizzly G4003G 12x36 lathe over the weekend. It's gotta go in the basement now and I've run into a snag. It weighs about 1000lbs and there's 6 stairs and then the basement floor. I've got nothing to secure a winch to, unless my neighbors let me roll my truck thru their backyard.....but that ain't gonna happen. I was thinking of using two 4x4's together across the front opening of the Bilko door frame and use a Come-Along to ease down the lathe. I put 3/4" plywood over the stairs. This is kinda how Nelson moved his SB Heavy 10. I've never used a Come-Along before. I know it can raise/pull in a increments via the pawl but I didn't know it could lower loads in a controlled manor. I thought you could only release the load totally in an all-at-once way. Am I wrong? I just read that a lever chain hoist can be operated vertically or horizontally so methinks I'm going to go with that. Any other ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dig a post hole 24" deep and cement a chain or heavy duty eye bolt into it. Chances are you'll be moving more stuff in and it will be there when you need it. I have 2 of them outside my garage and one in each corner inside. Makes moving stuff easy. A chain hoist is much easier to control when lowering a load than a come-along.

When you refer to a come-along, what you really want is a "CM puller" or something similar, not one those absurd cable and pulley finger-pinchers. They have a brake inside so you can let the load down gradually and you can also change direction with the flick of a lever. I think the import-guys call them manual chain hoists. For around home, I bought a used CM since I used that model many times back in my quarry days.

Anyway, that's a lot of cranking so I would strongly think about using an electric winch. You might also want to think about how to get it back out again unless the lathe will become a permanent fixture of the house.

Thanks guys. DoogieB, actually I just found out about lever chain hoists, which Googling "CM Puller" looks to be the same thing. I may go with the 1.5ton version from Horrible Freight. That type of hoist can operate horizintally whereas a regular chain hoist is really meant for vertical lifting. Looks like we're getting somewhere now! :)

Not sure about all come-a-longs, but some work both ways. A "Tifor" winch works both ways easily. Or a "Chinese windlass". That could be built and incorporated into the frame across the doorway as the anchor point.
Pineys suggestion is good too if it wont be a trip hazard

Cheers Phil

Piney, that's a good idea but it won't go over well with the Boss. It would be funny watching the dog jump over it all the time though! :D

use rollers if you can!
if you have the comealong oriented in the correct direction, controlled lowering is very easy, when it's backwards you'll have a hard time.
i lowered a 2800lb universal mill down a 40ft driveway on pipe rollers and then up onto a trailer using a comealong, nylon choker and chain.
then had to get it off at my place, the same way!
you get pretty fast at lowering after you get the hang of it.

Hi Splat,

A "come along" or cable hoist can indeed be released or lowered in steps. During those stages you use the lever to control the load. There are two pawls, one on the body and one on the lever. The one on the body holds the load while lifting. For lowering you alternate between the two pawls.

I just used two recently; one on each end of a 1000 lb metal shear to transfer it from the back of my truck to a lower ski-doo trailer that I can back into my shop.

I do agree that a chain hoist may be nicer to use, however it is also more costly.

I have never heard the term "CM Puller" before.

-brino

Last edited:
Agreed I have never had a problem using a cable come a long raising or lowering.

Personally I would be looking at how the machine comes apart and carry it down in pieces. If it's used, which I assume it is, you would be ahead to tear it down and verify it's in good shape anyhow. It may take longer, but you kill two birds with one stone.

Back