Mounting atlas to rolling tool chest

Thanks Robert. Your input is always very helpful.

I mounted my 12 x 18 on a HF cabinet. I made a thick top out of 3/4 plywood bottom layer with a 3/4 MDF top glued and screwed to it. It makes a very sturdy top and works well. I sealed it with 2 coats of fiberglass resin
I removed the casters and made some 1 1/2 channel supports mounted where the casters were. I think this lowered it about 5-6 inches which works out well for me.
I love having all the storage space directly under the lathe for chucks, tooling, files, gages, etc. I've actually still got a few empty drawers.
JD

LatheOnCabinet.JPG

That's a nice looking little lathe, JD

-frank

Very nice JD. I thought that the bed of my 12x24 would just fit on the HF 44 inch cabinet, which actually measures only 42'' But now that I see how your 12x18 fills up the top of the cabinet I think I better remeasure.

JD, et al,

The problem with putting a lathe on a rolling tool chest has to do with "rolling", not with "Tool Chest". If you remove the rollers, or provide outboard legs with leveling pads, it should work fine.

JP,

The top of the original cast iron leg stand and the hardwood chest for the 24" (42" bed) was 45" wide. 44" would probably work fine. Or you could build the top up to just a fraction over the lip that runs around it and then put a 45" wide top board on top of that.

Robert D.

Back