Mounting a spindle encoder with pdb

Cad cam man

Registered
Registered
Ok guys I need help on this one. I am trying to mount an encoder for spindle feedback on my pm727v milling machine using a belt and pulley system. I plan on adding a power draw bar tool release system in the very near future. If I add the encoder now before the pdb I will have to redo everything because the encoder will be in the way , so I want to make it possible to add the pdb after I add the encoder . I dont know how or where to put the encoder so it will be out of the way of everything. Has anyone seen or know how to go about doing this ? Can it be done ? I am worried about the pulley that would be connected to the drawbar that moves ? I dont want the movement of the pdb to damage the encoder. Any suggestions???

I have done this on two machines now. You have to get real creative on attaching the pulley to the outside of the spindle and leave room for the drawbar. I think i may have posted the second one here, I will look right now.

edit - found it

Yeah your right about getting creative...does the pdb movement effect the encoder when it moves?

On the above project, i ended re doing the air cylinder on the drawbar for another 1/4" of stroke so it would always engage. the pulley was 3/8 wide and caused trouble at first.

NOW, I remember what i did on the excello 20 years ago. It had even less to grab. I used the taper lock bushing idea here. Two small bolts pulled the timing pulley into a matching taper hub. The hub only had 1/8" of spindle tube to grab. I am still using this mill on a regular basis. On my way out to the shop right now to run it.

Last edited:
Woah !!! Thats a 1 of a kind mount job you got there . I see now what you mean about being clever and really thinking outside the box. The pdb is a bit different than the 1 you show in the picture. I have attached a picture of a pdb alot like what I will have im just not sure how to go about mounting a encoder to a spindle shaft that will be moving. The picture is from a guy on YouTube his channel is named Practical Renaissance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-211233_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-211233_YouTube.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 80
Back