Motorcycle bar risers and top clamp.

bmw rider

Active User
Registered
Having recently purchased my benchtop milling maching and equipping it with a DRO, I was looking for a good first project. This one presented itself as neccessary when I got a new steering damper for my BMW F800GS. The dampers design replaced the original bar mounts with a piece that holds the damper. Unfortunatly, it placed the bars lower and further forward than I wnated them. I had installed bar risers before, but they would not work with the new damper. So I set out to solve this problem.

I came up with a design to add the riser blocks on top of the damper mount, then cap that with a new single piece top clamp. The design of the risers ended up being higher than I wanted due to the need to have one of the cap screws under the new par position, so I simply milled the damper mount down to account for that extra material. The end result has the bars a bit higher and further back than where I had them before which should make the bike more comfortable when standing upright on rough terrain and the new damper should ease the wobbles. Looking forward to spring and some testing.

Comparing the new bar mount to the original, note the mounting hole location imoves the bars forward.
IMGP0794-2.jpg

New bar mount versus the original with risers.
IMGP0796-2.jpg

7075 aluminum milled to base dimensions.
IMGP0787-2.jpg

Riser blocks drilled and countersunk and tapped.
IMGP0789-2.jpg

Top clamp drilled and milled to shape.
IMGP0798-2.jpg

Bored for the bars.
IMGP0802-2.jpg

Relief milled for clamping.
IMGP0803-2.jpg

Comparing the factory and the factroy with risers to the new risers.
IMGP0804-2.jpg

Edges radiuses to soften the look and eliminate sharp corners.
IMGP0806-2.jpg

Test fitting on the bike.
IMGP0811-2.jpg

The test fitting was perfect, no interferences at full rotation of the bars and the position seems right. I will take them off again to finish up with some buffing and finishing. haven't decided between paint, powdercoat or anodizing yet.

It was a good challenge for a first project as it involved many processes; precision drilling and hole placement, tapping, milling, lots of milling, boring and reaming and the edge radiusing. I guess all that time spent reading on this and other sites paid off.

IMGP0794-2.jpg

IMGP0796-2.jpg

IMGP0787-2.jpg

IMGP0789-2.jpg

IMGP0798-2.jpg

IMGP0802-2.jpg

IMGP0803-2.jpg

IMGP0804-2.jpg

IMGP0806-2.jpg

IMGP0811-2.jpg

Very impressive first project, you can be justly proud of that!

really nice work, i have a small bike shop , have a lathe now i gotta have a mill
Gary

I've had my lathe for a bit now too and wanted the mill for these kind of projects. It's great to be able to make the custom parts that just aren't available commercially. I'm just working on my own bikes and those of family, but some might think it was a shop with the number of bikes we have.

Nice work, Ed

I would like to buy an F800GS some day for adventure riding.

Kevin

Nice work, Ed

I would like to buy an F800GS some day for adventure riding.

Kevin

I'm really happy with my F800GS, it's a great machine for out on the backwoods roads and trails. Gets me to some nice fishing spots. Mines an 09, I was one of the first buyers here. I hadn't planned to trade up from my 02 F650GS so soon after the intor of the 800, but a deer encounter made the move neccessary. I've added a lot of accessories to it, and am now finally able to make some better ones at home.

Here's a teaser photo for you.

P1010066-2.jpg

P1010066-2.jpg

Looks like you have the bike set up really nice! I have an 09 KTM 530 EXC, it’s not really an adventure bike, But we did go on a 750 mile ride last summer from Cle Elum Washington to the Canadian border and back, It was mostly forest service roads with a little pavement.

14.JPG

Lake Chelan WA

12.JPG

14.JPG 12.JPG

Those are nice pix of bikes and places. Here are some of mine from a ride was on this past summer on my R 75/5 from Florida to North Carolina and back.

beemer pics 073.JPG beemer pics 036.JPG beemer pics 061.JPG

Another little project today for the bike.

I just installed an Ohlins shock on my F800GS and needed a tool for the preload adjuster so I whipped this up. I found a 8mm hex driver bit in my junk drawer and made the rest out of aluminum. Turned everything on the lathe then milled the notch in the end of the shaft to fit to the handle. Drilled and counter sunk the handle to attach it with a socket head bolt. The bit driver is pressed into the end of the shaft which was drilled to suit. Rather than leave the shaft and handle as plain bar stock, I spent a bit of time fancying them up. Last thing was to print the preload settings out on the label maker and stick it around the tool shaft.

IMGP0852.JPG

IMGP0853.JPG

IMGP0852.JPG IMGP0853.JPG

Back