Motor wiring mystery

20230504_151113.jpg

Bench test 100% success. We'll call this test rig "Yes that is only temporary."

It is making a little fan noise, but it didn't sound like a bearing.

Fired up immediately when plugged in. Did not smoke or get hot. Ran for only 20 seconds. Will have to wait until the mill is assembled for a load test.

Yes the MM IS a 22-801. No wonder I wasn't getting a reading.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are a gentleman.

Last edited:
Great! Is it running in the correct direction? Swap 5 and 6 if it isn't
You want clockwise when looking at the shaft end I think if the motor is mounted pulley up
I've got one of those step stools too! Sometimes it serves as a table also LOL

Remember you might trip the house breaker occasionally on 120 volts when starting or pushing the motor hard- lots of current draw on 120v
Take lighter cuts if this happens often- when you get tired of babying it we can set it up for 240v and you can rip chips

Last edited:
Your meter has a capacitance function- you should be able to read microfarads directly- maybe it won't read values that high? What model is that?
You need to discharge the caps before trying measure them- a damaged meter can result if you don't- as well as a nasty shock
You should be reading something around 300 uF

So your motor does not use a run cap. Only two start caps in parallel which is the same as one big cap.
My fee is one billion likes, payable in installments :)
PS Your meter is a 22-801 isn't it? I looked it up it only reads to 40 uF. Not much help with caps this big
Try the caps anyhow and see how the motor works
I tried to like more than once, But it wouldn't let me! Thanks for helping everyone Mark!

Back