Motor wired for high voltage

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all, I purchased a used 2 hp 3ph motor for my lathe upgrade. It currently has a 1 hp 3ph on it and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to add an extra horse. Problem is the guy I got the motor from told me it’s witred for high voltage and I would need to rewire it for my 220 . Never done anything like this. Is it complicated? I will post some pictures of the wiring when I get home. Thanks in advance

As long as it has 9 wires in the pecker head, and they are properly labeled, you shouldn't have any problem. There might be a diagram something like this on the side of it.

1708807540773.jpeg

High voltage = 440, Low voltage = 220.

I will look when I get home. Would be nice if there were a diagram. Best I can recall it’s just a wad of wires in the pecker head,lol

Just know that this wiring is standard. The numbers are all the same. They may be printed on the insulation or they could be crimped on, or even paper labels. But the 1 through 9 is standard.

One caveat. This is for a Wye connected motor. Delta connected motors are different, but they are much less common that Wye.

Back