Motor Starting Issues

Latheman

Registered
Registered
When I turn the lathe on the motor just hums. If I spin the pully it takes off just fine and runs fine until I shut it off and have to start again. It's a craftsman 1/3 hp 110. Should I replace the motor or is there a way to fix the way it starts? It doesn't matter if there is tension on the belts or not. Just won't start turning on it's own. A quick spin of the hand and it's off to the races. It does bother me a bit. All I want to do is turn on the switch and work. I can't say I like playing wheel of fortune when I machine. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Or an open start winding or a bad connection.

It should be fairly easy to troubleshoot with an ohmmeter or continuity tester. One place to start would be to check the integrity of any spade connectors. They can loosen up with time and once the connection starts to fail, it can self destruct fairly quickly. If you have a reversing switch, all the wires leading to the reversing switch are suspect as well.

Bob

Check to see if your motor has a capacitor. It is often a lump on the side. On the motor for my tiny lathe, there is no capacitor. It uses a centrifugal switch and a start winding.

RJ. It does not reverse. Ericc if it does have a capacitor, what then?

Dunlap (Craftsman) Motor 1/3 HP, SplitPhase, Volt 115, Amp 5.4, RPM 1750, CW-CCW This is exactly what it is.

RJ. It does not reverse. Ericc if it does have a capacitor, what then?

Latheman I sent you a message with a link for troubleshooting split phase motors. If the capacitor is bad, you can swap it out in less than ten minutes. The cap should be marked with it's capacitance value.
A quick Google search should find you a replacement in no time

Many of the Craftsman motors have a flat capacitor that is housed in the base of the motor. Finding a replacement that will fit in the same space is often a challenge.

Latheman I sent you a message with a link for troubleshooting split phase motors. If the capacitor is bad, you can swap it out in less than ten minutes. The cap should be marked with it's capacitance value.
A quick Google search should find you a replacement in no time
Hey, Black13, how about posting that link here rather than in a PM, so that EVERYONE, not just Latheman, can benifit from it. Thanks, JR49

Back