Motor Speed Re: Rpc ...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm sure someone here has the answer. Is the motor RPM relevant when building an RPC? Thanks, Mike

I have always heard that the 1725 is better then the 3500 but we will hear from someone that knows. I have had my homemade setup going for about 12 years with a 1725 rpm and air cond. relay and some capacitors. Runs my drill press and my Bridgeport. I made it before I got a lathe or mill from discarded stuff from work, then when I got my lathe and mill they were both 120 volt. I have since gotten a variable speed Rockwell drill press, huge runs on3 phase and sold off the 120 volt Burke mill for a 3 phase Bridgeport Mill running on RPC. My boy got me a RPC store bought to replace the home grown unit it is nice and compact, but have yet to put it in service. I gave my boy a 7.5 HP 1725 rpm 3phase motor he has on a store bought RPC and it runs his Bridgeport and his 3hp 3 phase lathe.

The 3500 RPM will typically be significantly louder than the 1725

I have a Phase-a-Matic 3 hp, and it has an 1800 RPM motor per the side plate info.

No. Motor speed is a function of number of poles in the motor and frequency of the applied voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back