• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Motor Replacement - Logan 200

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

middle.road

Active User
Next project... (as if I don't have enough already.) Thinking of swapping in a Tablesaw motor.
Need some learned opinions.
There's a 1/2 HP 1750RPM Craftsman dual shaft on it now. It is a bit long in the tooth, stalls out. Has served me well for ~20 years.
As I was rummaging around for a capacitor for the other project, I realized that I have two 1HP (3450RPM) Craftsman motors off of tablesaws. ((I really need to take inventory))
Am I OK in assuming that if I change the lower pulley to ~2" I would be OK.
It is a 4" - 4-1/2" now on the 1/2HP 1750RPM motor.
The Black motors a a tad smaller overall than the old one.

Thanks, _Dan

Logan-Pullies-r.jpg Logan-Motor-r.jpg 0707172003-r.jpg

Attachments

middle.road

Active User
Second post because I didn't make the tags large enough and Opera won't let me 'Advance Option' Edit the post.
Larger picts of the tags.
0707172004-r.jpg 0707172004c-r.jpg

Nogoingback

It might be easier to take your motor to someone that can rebuild it. I've never done it, but a number of folks on the forum have said it's not too expensive. Sometimes all they need is a capacitor.

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
3450 RPM is twice as fast as the original motor. According to the Logan FAQ ( http://www.lathe.com/faq/index.html#_Toc95180283) the original two step pulley was "approximately 2.31" & 4.28" in diameter". With the 3450 motor you will not be able to find a pulley small enough to use the lower speeds. Typically the 3450 motors will be significantly louder, disturbing the peace and tranquility of watching your lathe run.

middle.road

Active User
Thanks, I had a feeling there was something obvious that I was overlooking.
During the hunt for the capacitor I started to attempt to consolidate and organize.

I've never used the 2.31" groove of the pulley, I've got a 1" long set screw through it holding the key in place, there's no 'hub' on this pulley.
Also the pulley has a 5/8" to 1/2" reducer in it.
It's usable for the time being. I'll have to check on the motor repair services available in the Knoxville area...

[6]
5 [7]