[Newbie] Motor mounting? Jackshaft?

Bone Head

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an Atlas 109.20630 identified by tags on the machine. My questions are how to properly mount the motor and jackshaft to it. It will be on my workbench, so brackets that bolt to the Atlas legs are of no use. Machine did not come with any provisions factory or otherwise to mount any of these.
Thanks in advance.

If you can post a photo or two, you will likely get a bunch of useful feedback to fuel your endeavor.

If I recall, the 109 series never came with a jackshaft so it sounds like a custom job- whatever bracketing you can fabricate is fine
as long as the pulleys are in line with each other.
-M

A motor came with it. With pulleys that match up to the lathe's pulleys. Am I correct in thinking as long as I maintain alignment I can mount it to the bench? On a hinged platform of some sort?

your right about your camera skills. tailstock end is not imporant.
please provide a better pic of the head end, a little further away, and show the motor in another shot.

Ahhh, progress! That sounds pretty good to me, lining up the belt and bolting the motor to the bench.
Sometimes one can use the weight of the motor pulling away from the lathe to provide enough
traction to keep it from slipping or in some cases I have used a spring to do the same. Yup,
the wheels will be turning soon.:encourage:

My thoughts exactly. The 109 headstock has a planetary gear reduction that acts like a backgear, but I don't remember how to engage it.
-M

Bone, I left you some stuff in the other neighborhood. There really isn't a whole lot to these little things.
For the first few years I was wrenching one of these made all my spacers.
Warning , the spindle is about a noodle.

Back