motor driven lead screw

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
I have a 9" wide bed south bend and was thinking about dc motor driving my lead screw. I was wondering if there are any pictures and advice on how others have done it. Not interested in doing cnc.

if you don't need threading just attach a dc gear motor and dc controller. Surplus center is a good place to shop for these. I'd spend some time researching exactly what RPM range you need to get the best gearing

Are you basically wanting to add a DIY power feed ???
If so, there are a few. I'll see if I can find the threads about them.

I'll see if I can find the threads and post the links here.
Might help if you could post a picture of your lathe, it will help with the type of system you'll need.

Your lathe appears to have gear driven power feed for the lead screw. Is there a particular reason for wanting to drive it with a DC motor ???
This can be done a couple different ways depending on what your plans are. If you want strictly DC motor drive, not too difficult, but if you want to retain both it gets a bit more complicated.

plan on leaving the gears in and putting the selector in neutral and running the lead screw from the tailstock end with a dc motor

I assume you're wanting to have some sort of variable speed drive set-up.
Do you want to go cheap with this or higher end ???
The problem comes with potential back EMF when using the gear drive to power the shaft. This can make the motor act like a DC generator and backfeed the control system potentially causing damage. Using just a variable resistor for speed control would alleviate this, but precise speed control is difficult with that type of set-up.
I haven't had time to search for threads/links yet, but will as soon as I can.
The more specific you can be in the type of control system will make this easier. The size and type of motor will depend on how you plan on using it as well.

Back