• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Most useful upgrade for my Hitorque mini mill 3960.

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ken from ontario

I am getting tired of banging my knuckles locking /unlocking the spindle drawbar so I think the most urgent and easy to make project would be to machine a spindle lock for it, am I the only one feeling the need for such a contraption?
I am left handed ,maybe that has something to do with it,at any rate, there's a spindle lock I'm following on youtube that is easy to machine and anyone with a little milling know how can do it.

Has any of you ever bought the ready made spindle lock by MLS ? they also sell an updated version for the 3990 that has a magnetic lock, now that would be a nice one to have but a shopmade type would cost me next to nothing.

master of none

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I made one and it was very easy just take your time watch the vid and go for it.Mine made a world of difference .

Ken from ontario

I made one and it was very easy just take your time watch the vid and go for it.Mine made a world of difference .
Good to know it worked out for you, It sure sounds like a very interesting project for both hobbyists and the pros ,when put to use, it should make a significant improvement.
Thanks for your input.

Ken from ontario

I am half way there,made the block , drilled the 3 holes but since I don't own a lathe I can't make the pin the same way as the video , instead, I 'm using a threaded rod that fits in the spindle hole,which means when I need to change tools I just thread the rod in the hole to lock the spindle but the drawback is I must remember to back it out before tuning the machine on.

How did you make the pin? did you drill a hole with a split pin in it to hold the spring?

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Charles Spencer

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I am half way there,made the block , drilled the 3 holes but since I don't own a lathe I can't make the pin the same way as the video , instead, I 'm using a threaded rod that fits in the spindle hole,which means when I need to change tools I just thread the rod in the hole to lock the spindle but the drawback is I must remember to back it out before tuning the machine on.

How did you make the pin? did you drill a hole with a split pin in it to hold the spring?

View attachment 225992
Non sequiter.

Non sequiter.

I had a lathe for three years before I got a mill. I never even possibly imagined an opposite progression.

Ken from ontario

Non sequiter.

Non sequiter.

I had a lathe for three years before I got a mill. I never even possibly imagined an opposite progression.
I know it doesn't sound logical but I'm also a hobby woodworker and my milling machine act as a glorified drill press,lol.
my old DP speed only goes as low as 300 rpm but this little mill has lower RPM and high enough torque for a lot of woodworking tasks such as using forstner bits,etc.
. I'm seriously planning on opening some shop space to accommodate a small metal lathe :chunky:

llamatrails

Iron
Registered Member
Might be a bit late here, but I also don't have a lathe (yet). So, I will adapt the spindle handle/pin that came with the mill to replace the bolt in Charlie Sarsfield's plans.

Rick

[6]
5 [7]