1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Most useful upgrade for my Hitorque mini mill 3960.

Discussion in 'MINI-LATHE & MINI-MILL INFORMATION' started by Ken from ontario, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Ken from ontario

Ken from ontario Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

I am getting tired of banging my knuckles locking /unlocking the spindle drawbar so I think the most urgent and easy to make project would be to machine a spindle lock for it, am I the only one feeling the need for such a contraption?
    I am left handed ,maybe that has something to do with it,at any rate, there's a spindle lock I'm following on youtube that is easy to machine and anyone with a little milling know how can do it.

Has any of you ever bought the ready made spindle lock by MLS ? they also sell an updated version for the 3990 that has a magnetic lock, now that would be a nice one to have but a shopmade type would cost me next to nothing.

rdean likes this.
  2. master of none

master of none H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brooksville
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I made one and it was very easy just take your time watch the vid and go for it.Mine made a world of difference .

3. Ken from ontario

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Good to know it worked out for you, It sure sounds like a very interesting project for both hobbyists and the pros ,when put to use, it should make a significant improvement.
    Thanks for your input.

4. Ken from ontario

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

I am half way there,made the block , drilled the 3 holes but since I don't own a lathe I can't make the pin the same way as the video , instead, I 'm using a threaded rod that fits in the spindle hole,which means when I need to change tools I just thread the rod in the hole to lock the spindle but the drawback is I must remember to back it out before tuning the machine on.

How did you make the pin? did you drill a hole with a split pin in it to hold the spring?

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. Charles Spencer

Charles Spencer Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Worcester
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Non sequiter.

Non sequiter.

I had a lathe for three years before I got a mill. I never even possibly imagined an opposite progression.

Ken from ontario likes this.
  6. Ken from ontario

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

I know it doesn't sound logical but I'm also a hobby woodworker and my milling machine act as a glorified drill press,lol.
    my old DP speed only goes as low as 300 rpm but this little mill has lower RPM and high enough torque for a lot of woodworking tasks such as using forstner bits,etc.
    . I'm seriously planning on opening some shop space to accommodate a small metal lathe :chunky:

7. llamatrails

llamatrails Iron Registered Member

City:
    Gainesville
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Might be a bit late here, but I also don't have a lathe (yet). So, I will adapt the spindle handle/pin that came with the mill to replace the bolt in Charlie Sarsfield's plans.

Rick