Most common tooling for a milling machine

leadunderpressure

Active User
Registered
I'm currently restoring a full size index 45 with a B&S#9 spindle.

I currently have:

end mill holders
Shell mill holders
Boring head with straight shank

Assorted hold down pieces
Vice

What tooling is on the must have list for a manual mill.

Since the taper is harder to find, I'd like to prioritize on tooling with the most possibility for common usage.

What suggestions are there for a manual mill?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm currently restoring a full size index 45 with a B&S#9 spindle.

I currently have:

end mill holders
Shell mill holders
Boring head with straight shank

Assorted hold down pieces
Vice

What tooling is on the must have list for a manual mill.

Since the taper is harder to find, I'd like to prioritize on tooling with the most possibility for common usage.

What suggestions are there for a manual mill?

Thank you

V blocks and tap holders. I never liked power taping because I didn't want to screw up the drill chuck jaws if the tap slipped. Make some simple tap holders for you most common taps.

Dividing head and/or rotary table.

Collet chuck.

B&S 9 collets. I don't know what sizes of endmill holders you have but a collet directly in the spindle is about the most accurate method for holding EM's.

A tramming device.

QC quill stop.

Flycutter.

Facemill.

I have a B&S 9 mill too and, just like my B&S 10 mill, tooling is available. Don't be afraid to offer eBay sellers much less than their asking prices. I've found that they more often than not accept offers for 25-50% less than they're asking.

Superiormachinetools is a great seller of B&S tooling and Jason is a great guy to deal with. I've done a lot of business with him and he gladly accepts offers and treats you right if there is a problem.

One of the tools I got from him wasn't threaded for a drawbar and he just let me keep it and offered me my choice of another tool for $1.
Can't really beat that service!

What is a tramming device? Do you mean a square? A test indicator holder? Can you describe what you mean by this.

What is a quill stop? Isn't that what the nuts beside the quill do or us is this a better method of getting a specific depth?

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I am following this because I will need to equip a mill in the future and would like to get busy and procure some of the stuff as soon as I can get an idea of what to look for first. The difference between the two machines is the taper but the concept of tooling I would assume would or should remain essentially the same. So please fellows, try to list a list of tooling in the preferred order of purchase or trade. I will be a complete babe in the woods when my mill arrives so I'm going to rely on you good folks to guide me on my merry way to tool nirvana and oneness with the tooling God's...Kind of the Zen for buying tooling would be great!!!!

Silly Bob

I'm not associated with this company but I have to say this is one of the most useful tools I've bought - I use it almost every time I use the mill, and that's almost daily. Anytime you need location but can live with say, +/- .003" - this thing saves a LOT of time.

Its called the Laser Center Edge Finder - info at http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com

Its pretty clever - there's a polarizing filter on the end which allows you to reduce the dot size way down for accuracy. Because it has no "diameter" you can find centers or edges without having to subtract half the thickness of your edge finder diameter like you do with the "touch-off" ones.

/Greg
http://www.BlowsMeAway.com

Just don't use it to hold end mills. (Safety issue: drill chucks, at least those on arbors, don't handle side loads well - and can come adrift.)

AMEN TO THAT !!! (One ruined workpiece and a set of soiled shorts later... )

Back