Monarch model 60 and Bridgeport series1

john.t.little1

Registered
Registered
Hello all I am in the market for a lathe and mill I have found a deal where I can trade a vehicle of mine for a monarch model 60 22." Swing 30" centers it's 2/1951 production date and was originally owned by Chevrolet in buffalo NY. it has t slots on the cross slide and a vise mounted aft of the compound. It's 3 phase and has a 7.5hp motor and I will be using a phase converter to make it single phase.

The mill is a Bridgeport series1 with Heidenhain TNC 151 it's in good shape And comes with some tooling.

What should I be looking for on these two machines when I go to inspect? He has both on Craigslist http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/tls/4694083069.html
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/tls/4694881834.html
Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance. -John

Is that mill a nc machine? As in numeric control, precursor to cnc? It would be an interesting project either to learn to use it or convert it to manual controls. Other than that, first thing I want to know is the condition of the ways. Bearings can be replaced and broken parts fixed or replaced, but fixing a clapped out machine is a pretty serious, not cheap endeavor no matter who does it. I think for $3500 it should be in pretty hot shape with regular manual controls, maybe even a variable speed head. I have no use for nc machines at all.

The lathe looks good. Check for ware on the bedways and play in the spindle bearings. And of corse if it runs. The Bridgeport has an old cnc controler on it If that is what you are looking for make shure it is working as parts will be verry hard to fine. Make shure it can me run manueley. And what it would take to remove the cnc. And of corse check spindle for play and table for movement. Hope that helps.

I would be trading a vehicle for both the lathe and mill. I'm not sure if it's nc or not. But I have seen a thread on a forum to convert to cnc. He did tell me everything is "tight" on both machines and used them to make parts for go carts but his son got out of racing so he doesn't really use them anymore And has other machines he uses.

Last edited:
The mill would an interesting project. I'm a little surprised that there are no pictures of the mill. Just a few odds & ends. The old CNC controller is great if it works, that one may still be supported by Heidenhain. You can program it in ''conversational'' mode as well as import G-code from your CAM program.

I'm not sure if that machine can be operated manually as is or not. Some pictures of the machine would be helpful in that regard. If the ways are not worn out, it should be a good machine. I would want to hear it run if possible, and make sure the controller and the motor drives work. It would be a very good starting point to convert to a more modern CNC, and if you don't want to do that, it would make a heck of a manual machine.

As far at the lathe goes. That's a lot of machine. What the others have said about condition is correct. I would add; to make sure all the levers work and that everything moves smoothly. If it can be powered up, check all the functions and listen for unusual noises.

Well for the price, you will probably come out OK. The slot in the middle of the table is a bit unusual, don't think it came from the factory that way. It may have been milled for a fixture, or it could have been one of those Oh S#$@ moments. -Z is down. It doesn't have handwheels for manual operation, so it's important that the controller and the motors work.

Ok so the consensus is i should be ok as long as everything works as it should. any ideas how to load these things? I have a trailer I can use but getting it on the trailer… thoughts?

Ok so the consensus is i should be ok as long as everything works as it should. any ideas how to load these things? I have a trailer I can use but getting it on the trailer… thoughts?

That's where your riggers come in. TRUST ME on that one.

Back