Monarch 10EE

Monarch on Roll-A-Lifts.jpgMonarch With Pull Strap Set.jpgNew Winch Operator.jpgRaising Front Lift To Clear Trailer.jpgReeling It In.jpg

I have a lathe sitting on a trailer in my driveway. We pulled in about 9:30 and decided that was good enough for one day. The owner's wife is our winch operator, that's my brother Robert doing all the work.

The Roll-A-Lifts made the job feasible. That and a big dual-axle trailer and 3/4 ton diesel pickup. It took 2 tries to get the lathe started up the ramp. It's essential to have everything aligned straight before starting the winch. I was very pleased with how things went, this was far safer than picking the lathe up.

Walt

Monarch on Roll-A-Lifts.jpg Monarch With Pull Strap Set.jpg New Winch Operator.jpg Raising Front Lift To Clear Trailer.jpg Reeling It In.jpg

View attachment 53908View attachment 53909View attachment 53910View attachment 53911View attachment 53912

I have a lathe sitting on a trailer in my driveway. We pulled in about 9:30 and decided that was good enough for one day. The owner's wife is our winch operator, that's my brother Robert doing all the work.

The Roll-A-Lifts made the job feasible. That and a big dual-axle trailer and 3/4 ton diesel pickup. It took 2 tries to get the lathe started up the ramp. It's essential to have everything aligned straight before starting the winch. I was very pleased with how things went, this was far safer than picking the lathe up.

Walt

Good for you man! Wonderful machine - truly a joy to work with. I hope it's the baby you are hoping!

Good luck rolling it to it's home, and post some pics when it is there
I look forward to seeing it running for you!

Bernie

Whew! My brother came back this afternoon with a friend, and we unloaded the lathe without incident. It's parked at the back of my garage now and we can squeeze both cars in.

I want to get it through the ground level doorway in the basement. We gave up right away on using the truck and trailer to move the machine because there's a big tree right in the way, there's too much slope on one side and the property line on the other.

I'm thinking of using timbers to make tracks to provide rolling surface for the Roll-A-Lifts. I'm not sure how to size the timbers, and the local price goes from $22.80 each for 4"x6"x12' to $58.44 each for 6"x8"x12'. I figure I'll need 4 each. I'm willing to pay to get the stuff that will work, but I don't want to waste money buying bigger lumber than I need. Actually I'm not certain even the larger timbers will hold up to the punishment of 800-1000 lbs on 8" x 2.5" dual wheels.

My Google search on "heavy machinery protecting lawn" brought up a forum discussion on using mini-excavators and other tracked vehicles on home lawns. They use 3/4" or even 1/2" plywood. I'm fairly confident that the Roll-A-Lift would bog down badly and be very difficult to roll on plywood over dirt.

Or would I be better off without the Roll-A-Lift and using pipe to roll the machine on?

Comments appreciated.

Walt

Last edited:
The 3/4" plywood should work, as long as the ground surface is fairly level and even, and you won't have to deal with the hump the timbers would present.

One option- attach 2x8s in the direction parallel to the bed. You'll need to attach with blocking to the skid it is on. This will allow you to roll it on pipes in the direction parallel to the lathe bed. I would not try to roll it on pipes in the direction perpendicular to the bed length which is how your skid is setup for now. Use 3/4 plywood to move over grass. 2 sheets of plywood, leapfrogging sheets as you go. This is basically how I moved a 10ee down a grassy hill to get it into my walkout basement door. I used 4" PT posts for my base parallel to the bed. I wouldn't recommend you go that thick on the skis unless you remove the base you have now. The CG is high in these machines, don't get it up any higher than you need to or risk if tipping increases. I use 1" black iron pipes. A Johnson bar can be a big help when moving. Consider renting or buying one. A toe jack is another handy tool that makes getting it off the skid easier if you don't have access to overhead lifting machinery. Over engineer the skid for the skid and be safe!

Last edited:
Back