Model A Apron Worm Gear Excess wear on bearing or not?

dmakseyn

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
First post and introduction. My name is Dave and I just retired from the construction industry to my shop at home. I was a machinist in the Air Force in the late 1960's and managed to stay in one piece and get home. My thoughts are always with those who did not.
I came across a South Bend Model A earlier this year and was able to pick it up for a fair price. I have been slowly cleaning, stripping, painting,
repairing and learning how it all comes together.
It is serial number 32215NAR9 and from what I have read it was built in January of 1953 roughly!
I'm presently into the apron assembly process and have discovered what may or may not be a problem. You can see in the first picture I'm using a dial indicator to measure 0.050" of end play between the worm gear and the cast bearing surface. Further along you can see a deep ridge worn into the surface of the cast iron bearing surface. The 0.050" was measured with the retaining collar screwed back into place with the pin holes aligned as it originally was when I took it apart. Each side seems to be worn equally at about 0.025". The worm gear and collar are not worn at all as far as I can tell.
My question: Is this too much end play? I can see the lead screw turning and the rest of the machine waiting for the end play to be taken up before it moves! Also, why does the long key that is inside the worm gear have that step in it? Is it wear or was it made that way?
I have been on many machine forums over the last few years and I just wanted to say how much better this one is than all the rest. Everyone is friendly and very helpful and most important of all, respectful of each other. I'm very happy to have found this forum and very pleased to be a member.
I know...Pictures...Pictures!! They will be coming.
Thanks,
Dave

DSCN1815.JPG DSCN1825.JPG DSCN1833.JPG

The iron has worn first vs the steel gear. You could look at thrust washers to remove some of the play.

I had considered that as a possible solution but does anyone know how much end play would be acceptable?
There is also the problem of removing the burr on the cast bearing surface before the thrust washer will fit.
I had also asked about the long key in the worm gear. Does anyone know if the key was originally supposed to be square
or if it has just worn down where it fits into the slot in the lead screw.
Thanks,
Dave

The step in the key keeps it from sliding out of place. A thrust washer is the normal repair for wear in this area.

Back