Mobil Vactra No. 2 Way Oil Question.

38Bill

Registered
Registered
I'm using Mobil Vactra No. 2 Way oil on my 12" Commercial Craftsman lathe and every time I wipe the ways down the rag seems very dirty. Is that a normal thing or am I getting an excessive amount of wear? I do keep the ways well oiled.

If it aint dirty, Then it aint getting used enough. :laughing: Seriously your using a good oil you will be fine.

When I move my carriage and tailstock I can see dirt particles in the oil that pools in front of the travel, more than one would expect. I am also using Vactra #2. This has nothing to do with the Vactra but everything to do with how much dust and dirt is floating around the shop. The dirt increases with time since the last wipe down and with more shop activity. We are doing the right thing by wiping it down and re-oiling it. It would really be better to have a good cover over the lathe that helps to keep debris out. I tried that for a while but the cover I cobbled up was a PITA. I need to try again, thanks for kick starting me...

Any examples of great lathe covers out there?

Excessive wear, try my new and improved Exemplary No Wear Extreme Pressure Clean Rag Waylube™ available for only $149.99 per pint, the best lube that you will ever use, this product will allow a 50 year old machine to operate for 50 years, guaranteed, as a bonus gift you may receive or not a Shamwow™ or a Ginsu Knife™ which are both excellent products (-:

Excessive wear, try my new and improved Exemplary No Wear Extreme Pressure Clean Rag Waylube™ available for only $149.99 per pint, the best lube that you will ever use, this product will allow a 50 year old machine to operate for 50 years, guaranteed, as a bonus gift you may receive or not a Shamwow™ or a Ginsu Knife™ which are both excellent products (-:
You didn't even give us the PO Box for ordering?
Robert

Is that as seen on TV?

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Probably flushing out old hardened oil and grease from the machines previous life. After a few months of use your way oil will start to become clean.

When I first got my lathe every time I use it I looked like a coal minor, but now I can walk away with a clean white shirt.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I would say the Vactra #2 is doing it's job by holding that dirt and grime in suspension (off your machines ways) providing a buffer which prevents the contaminates from being ground into your ways. I'm no expert but it sounds like a win to me. :cool:

Back