Mitutoyo Lathe DRO Install

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Summit 1440B I got recently, came with a cheap ToAuto DRO that I just wasn't happy with. Along with the flimsy feel of a $200 Chinese DRO, it also had the annoying "feature" of having some nonsensical symbol display that you were in diameter/radius and inch/metric. Why not just display Dia/Rad and Inch/MM? Also, the Y axis scale only had a 40" range, and this lathe, while spec'd as a 14"x40", will actually go to 14-1/2" x 45". So, I talked to Mike at Can Do Machinery, and ordered a Mitutoyo KA200 lathe package. Great guy to deal with, and the best price on Mit DRO's that I've found.

On the back side of the lathe bed, there are two very flat/uniform ribs down the entire length that were perfect for scale mounting. Not sure if they're for that purpose, or perhaps for something like a taper attachment. At any rate, I mounted it using the supplied mounting blocks, but the grub screws were not needed. Mounted as is, the scale was within .010" end to end in all planes.
IMG_9315.jpeg
IMG_9317D.jpeg
Never been a fan of the universal two piece sliding "L" brackets that come with DRO's, so a solid one was made out of piece of scrap aluminum that was already surfaced flat while testing a new face mill. Much more solid mount.
IMG_9324.JPG
Then had a local shop bend up a Z channel out of .080" aluminum to cover the scale.
IMG_9331.JPG
The X axis scale required a bit of fiddling, as there wasn't enough room in the pocket cast in the carriage for this DRO's read head. Had to stand off the scale about 1/4" from the side of the cross slide, so the read head had clearance. Originally used ferrules, but the gap between the scale and cross slide was a chip magnet. So, a spacer was machined out of some 3/8" x 1" aluminum stock. No more gap, and the spacer is thick enough to drill and tap to mount some sort of shield over the scale down the road.
IMG_9379.jpeg
IMG_9377D.jpeg
IMG_9345.JPG
Great weekend project, and way happier with the high quality, user friendly Mit DRO!

I've been seriously thinking about a DRO for my lathe and want to go with magnetic scales. I looked at Mitutoyo but couldn't fin any info on whether or not the scales can be cut to length without affecting their function. Have you any idea if they can be cut to fit?

I've been seriously thinking about a DRO for my lathe and want to go with magnetic scales. I looked at Mitutoyo but couldn't fin any info on whether or not the scales can be cut to length without affecting their function. Have you any idea if they can be cut to fit?
The Y axis scale is magnetic, but I'm not sure if you can trim it to length. It's enclosed in a U channel similar to glass scales, so it would likely be a bit of a process. The X axis is a glass scale, so no cutting there.

Very nice piece of kit.

--Great prices BTW. The kit for my lathe is over 4800$CDN, but 1190$US from your source.

Very nice piece of kit.

--Great prices BTW. The kit for my lathe is over 4800$CDN, but 1190$US from your source.
Wow, that's a whopping price difference! So far, I'm pretty impressed. Have always been happy with Mitutoyo instruments. I haven't had a chance to test the absolute accuracy yet, but the repeatability/return to zero is outstanding. I put an indicator in the tool post and bumped it up against the chuck and zeroed it and the DRO. Cranked the carriage 20-25 revolutions down the bed and back to zero on the indicator. The DRO read 0.0000 three out of three times. I have the Y axis resolution set to a half thou on the least significant digit. The X axis is set to tenths. It's also on "diameter", so the LSD on the display is in increments of two tenths. Did the same test on it, and two out of three tries it came back to all zeroes, and one time it was .0002". Using it to cut a part, it appears that the absolute accuracy is pretty damn good. I turned a pin out of some 4140 that I wanted to be 20.000mm. While making the roughing cuts, I miked the part, and entered the absolute value into the X axis. For the final pass, I adjusted the cross slide for 20.000 mm on the DRO and the part measured 19.998 mm.

Back