Missing Gear Tooth

The searching has not resulted in finding a gear that will work for me. So I am going to braze up the missing tooth and file it down to make the tooth profile. I appreciate all the advice and offers for making a new gear for me. Now It just seems much simpler to repair the old gear and get the lathe back in working condition. I will post up the repair in a few days after I get it repaired. Thanks again to all here who have tried to help!!!

Well, I got lucky and found a gear at Grizzly that was an exact match for my broken gear. Had to do some mods as it was .015 to wide. Turns out it was a 20 degree gear. Thanks to all who gave me advice and offers for help.

Whilst I am not disputing that your bushing may be copper, just be aware that copper is not suitable for bearing use. It is too soft and malleable
....It is copper not bronze......
Glad to see you got your gear sorted anyways.

Cheers Phil

I have put teeth back on gears on two different occasions. One was in a motorcycle transmission and the other was in a lathe quick change gearbox. I built up the gear by welding appropriate for the gear metal. I turned the diameter to match the other teeth. I then filed the tooth (teeth) to shape. It takes some patience to mark with layout ink, roll the broken gear with the mating gear, and then file off the high spot and repeat until they mesh perfectly. You could hear the gear in the lathe gearbox but it worked flawlessly. I could hear no difference in the motorcycle running it on a stand.

Back