Missing and Broken Gears for Lathe

Hi Bruce

I have found how to add attachment in this message.

attached some drawings of a similar apron.

So far I can see on your pictures the shaft D with gear is missing.
Let me know the following information, preferably in millimeters.
Center distance of axes C and D
Center distance of axes E and D
Outer diameter and the number of teeth of gear E (3)
or the outer diameter and the number of teeth of gear C (34)

If you can give me this information, I can calculate for you how many teeth the gear D (9) must have.

Best wishes and good luck

Gerard

apron-1.jpg apron-2.jpg apron-3.jpg

Bruce,

I have an ENCO 1236 about like Steve's. I ordered a Asian Lathe 1024 / 1236 Manual from Ozark Woodworkers:

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/10-x-24-12-x-36-Metal-Lathe-Manual-JetEncoGrizzlyMSCAsian_p_764.html

Nicely copied, but not very close to my lathe but very much like yours. Data in the manual is pretty light, and the drawings don't have part names except for the screws and pins and things you know what they are anyway. But, it appears your shaft and gears may be on the drawings. (The drawings are a mystery, they appear to be drawn wrong way around, half nut lever on left hand side, carriage traverse on the right, with the threading dial also on the right, maybe an OK artist with no mechanical sense...) I think your shaft and gears are bubbles 48 to 52. Bubble 48 is Jet p/n 3005, 51 is p/n 3006 and 52 is p/n 3004.

John Friend

Jet 1024 Apron 1.jpgJet 1024 Apron 2.jpg

Jet 1024 Apron 2.jpg Jet 1024 Apron 1.jpg

Sorry for the delayed response guys...

Gerard, That apron diagram is the closest I have seen - and it is the first to actually show an idler assembly! Unfortunately it is still not how my apron is constructed; in that diagram the location to mount the idler it is off to the side vertically (not between the upper and lower shafts), and also has a strengthening shoulder and holes for mounting screws to hold the idler shaft in place. On mine, the hole is vertically centered between the lower and upper shafts. Also, there is no shoulder or holes for mounting/securing the shaft.

But I really appreciate your efforts to help me, thank you! Also, I visited your site and love your shop and projects, very nice work!

John, thank you for your post. I am amazed at how many different arrangements there are for the apron on these units. That one, like most, does not have an idler.

If you look at this image, through the idler mounting hole you can see the lower gear that drives the idler. The gear that seems to be just above that is actually the crossfeed gear - it is up against the front of the apron, it is not lined up vertically with the driving gear on the worm wheel shaft seen at the bottom. If you look hard, you can just see the tips of the gear on the upper shaft that is lined up vertically with the bottom gear - this is the clutch gear that needs to be driven. So the idler is just a little bit smaller than the hole.

ApronRearWithText.jpg

Hi Bruce

Thank you for the kind words about my site and projects.

I can imagine that your apron is not identical with the drawings I have sent you. As far as I can understand your explanation, it is indeed an idle gear that you miss.
Can you measure the center distance of the driven shaft to the center distance of the axis of the idle gear wheel and the diameter and number of teeth of the driven gear. or the above information from the input shaft. With this information the idle gear can be calculated. How you make the shaft and locking them is not the most important case. It's just a matter of bridging the driving (input) gear and the driven gear with an idle gear. Is this correct. When so, send me the above information and I calculate for you the dimensions of that idle gear.

Gerard

Hi Bruce

Can you make a picture so I can see where the idle shaft must be fixed? On your pictures I can not see an other place as where the hole is in the backside, where the shaft can be placed.

Thanks
Gerard

Hi Gerard, thank you again for taking your time to help. Please do not feel any pressure or lose any sleep for me, this is just a hobby machine - there are no important jobs that must be completed here.

Please see the gear information below - the idler gear goes in the middle. This sketch is from behind the apron looking in, the same view as my previous image of the apron back with text markup, the bottom shaft has the broken worm wheel outside and the 32-tooth 1.885" O.D. drive gear inside. Note that my measurements are rough, and are in inches, the machine internally may be metric (it was made in Taiwan). The apron hole dimensions are given but not really important here.
Bruce.

GearDimensions.jpg

Hello Bruce

Your drawing of the gears is fine. It is even more than I expected. The dimensions are fairly accurate so I could make the calculations easily. The center distance of the two shafts to the idle shaft should be of course,the same, because the two gears both have 32 teeth.

Attached a drawing with on the left side your measurements and my calculations on the right side. I've also recalculated the dimensions in mm. (mm = inch x 25.4). The gears have a module of 1.5, which I already expected. The missing gear has 18 teeth. I hope that you could have enough information to make a new gear. I think the dimensions of the shaft can not be a problem.

Good luck with that
Gerard

gear-dimensions.jpg

I am so proud of you guys helping each other. It is so amazing how people 1/2 around the globe can be friends and help the way you are doing. We really are a family and a bunch of friends. Thanks Everyone, you're the best!!! :goodjob: Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard, Gerard has been terrific!!! (I just worry that he isn't sleeping)

Thank you so much Gerard, I really appreciate all of your help, your time, and great advice - I was very discouraged about the power feed, figuring it would never work for that machine, but you've given me hope and confidence!

Thank you my friend.

PS: And thanks to all of you hobby machinists and pro's who chimed in, you all really are great people.
Bruce.

Back