MISS MY MILL

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
sold a HF mill last year and kinda regret it, worked fine just got busy with other things and sold it......

already have a 7x14 lathe but is limited so been looking around for another mini mill and keep wondering
if id be happy with a unimat......the problem with the lathe is having to stand up ,so not good with a bad back:confused:

But thats beside the point.........anyway, seen some videos about the unimat and cant help thinking it would be a good
esp since it would be mounted on a low enuff table so Id be able to sit down! I also like the mill part being I no longer have one and enjoy making small aluminum parts.

2 things Ive noticed that some dont come with is X power feed and a mill table which ofcourse can be made. but would be nice if it came with the unimat......I have tooling left over from a previous lathe so thats covered........Ive noticed spares for these little jewels are gold plated !! Have also seen videos claiming the stock motors are weak and need to be upgraded with something more powerful?........As said in a previous post have seen a few videos but not much related to the milling aspect, maybe you know of some?? .once again always looking for your "constructive input............:cool:

Last edited:
Can’t help with the stand/sit part, but a unimat when all is said and done will cost most of what a standard mini mill would run you.

The benefit of a mini mill would be parts and tooling availability, whereas with the unimat you’re stuck with paying unimat prices as you have seen.

And yes, the standard green motors struggle for some tasks.

Can’t help with the stand/sit part, but a unimat when all is said and done will cost most of what a standard mini mill would run you.

The benefit of a mini mill would be parts and tooling availability, whereas with the unimat you’re stuck with paying unimat prices as you have seen.

And yes, the standard green motors struggle for some tasks.
Well, I agree with u somewhat and have seen unimat outfits basic attachments for $500+ but that was all excluding any extras
I've seen upgraded motors for $200 but no speed control which brings to mind, Dremel variable speed control that would go with motor upgrade.........$40. Ok back on the subject, have u seen any mini mills for $500 ?? what Im getting at is if $500 can get me a "unimat" with a mill attachment problem will be solved , cuzz Id have my bigger 7x14 lathe for big stuff and the unimat for small stuff plus a mill..........

Last edited:
sold a HF mill last year and kinda regret it, worked fine just got busy with other things and sold it......

already have a 7x14 lathe but is limited so been looking around for another mini mill and keep wondering
if id be happy with a unimat......the problem with the lathe is having to stand up ,so not good with a bad back:confused:

But thats beside the point.........anyway, seen some videos about the unimat and cant help thinking it would be a good
esp since it would be mounted on a low enuff table so Id be able to sit down! I also like the mill part being I no longer have one and enjoy making small aluminum parts.

2 things Ive noticed that some dont come with is X power feed and a mill table which ofcourse can be made. but would be nice if it came with the unimat......I have tooling left over from a previous lathe so thats covered........Ive noticed spares for these little jewels are gold plated !! Have also seen videos claiming the stock motors are weak and need to be upgraded with something more powerful?........As said in a previous post have seen a few videos but not much related to the milling aspect, maybe you know of some?? .once again always looking for your "constructive input............:cool:
PM25MV is around 2400 bucks and uses R8 tooling with an imperial lead screw....

I'm in a wood shop now, but I miss my PM25, it was a fine small mill. Yeah, I had installed X feed (home brew) and head raise and lower (electric) it filled my need for a mill, what with the small stuff I was doing. (Flying model airplane supplies).

Well, I agree with u somewhat and have seen unimat outfits w/ mill attachments for $500+ but that was all excluding any extras
I've seen upgraded motors for $200 but no speed control which brings to mind, Dremel variable speed control that would go with motor upgrade.........$40. Ok back on the subject, have u seen any mini mills for $500 ??
No, but in your own words.

Ive noticed spares for these little jewels are gold plated !!

This is where buying something current will outshine the unimat in the long run.

If you’re limited to $500 there aren’t many good options. I have seen well tooled unimats with upgraded motors and the power feed going for $1200-1500, so….

If you were asking about an affordable “All in one” machine that would be one thing.

What you’re asking seems to be would the unimat be a good replacement for your mini mill.

For me the answer would be NO. The “Mill” aspect of the unimat is, again in my opinion, a “Me too” type of thing.

It will do what it can do, but it will likely not be a satisfactory replacement for what you had.

My little PM25 (Weiss machine) was bought in '13. Spent a couple of years with it, and sent it to a friend when I upgraded. I've gone almost full circle with regards to my machining capability (long story), and have gotten my little PM25 back. It's been beat on, but it still runs pretty good. The belt drive mod still works, as does the 3-axis DRO, but the RPM display is very intermittent, and the spindle/quill splines are wearing. But I will use it until it dies, or I do. ;)

A lot of people who own and like Unimats as a small lathe say that they are marginal as a milling machine. More of a small drill press capable of doing milling. Not only are they small, but apparently they lack the kind of fine control you want on a mill.

There are lots of other small milling machines out there many available for similar money to a Unimat, and more capable. I have been very happy with my Sherline 5400 mill. I used to have it set up on a table and sat to use it. Now it is on a tool chest, and I have a tall stool so I can still sit when I use it if I want, although I tend to stand since I often go back and forth between the lathe and mill.

I'd like to get a Unimat, but mostly because I have a small machine fetish. Talking with people who own them it can not do anything my Sherlines can't except fit into a shoebox.

Last edited:
My little PM25 (Weiss machine) was bought in '13. Spent a couple of years with it, and sent it to a friend when I upgraded. I've gone almost full circle with regards to my machining capability (long story), and have gotten my little PM25 back. It's been beat on, but it still runs pretty good. The belt drive mod still works, as does the 3-axis DRO, but the RPM display is very intermittent, and the spindle/quill splines are wearing. But I will use it until it dies, or I do. ;)

The PM25 seems like an ideal midsize mill. If I hadn't basically tripped over a Clausing 8520 I probably would have ended up buying a PM25.

I did a bunch of things to use the mill set-up with my unimat,, none of it was worth the time, effort or money.. it does work nice as a precision drill press.. my LMS 3990 mill does a great job for its size...

Back