Mislabeled Tap...

That is also going to depend who is in the phone with you. Some CS are really understanding & want to help while others don't care.

QC isn't only a problem in China. I used to work at Toyota Motors WV & QC wasn't anything except BS. I don't have enough time to tell you all the stories. But I'll tell you that the number of those parts in question determines if they are acceptable or not & the amount of time it takes to build a part is more important then if it's fine correctly. Every part is looked at by a machine but they don't catch everything & if it catches to many problems then that check is bypassed & parts are sent around it.

you seem to not want the set of taps. do you need an address to have it sent to? bill

you seem to not want the set of taps. do you need an address to have it sent to? bill
Not sure if sarcastic or not haha. But since they're sending me a set, I will for sure put it to use!

I bought a new set of metric taps and dies, Brand new never used i can not read many of them and some have no labeling at all so when i need a metric die or tap I find a metric bolt or nut the size of the thread I need and run the die/tap into the nut/bolt to make sure i have the correct thread. Don

yes it was a joke and I do have a warped sense of humor I often crack myself up bill

I bought a large metric set from Enco a few years back which was a "flaming bargain." I did find a die mis-stamped. The Enco lady did not hesitate to send me a replacement . The set is China sourced, and although I have not used all of them , others seem ok. Satisfaction from the set comes from the range of large sizes and priced about 1/4 of equivalent pedigree sets. I will comment on another set of Harbor
Freight taps from China vs my trusted Japan set. The Chinese set have a different "class" of threads cut into them, and I am very careful how I use them.

Well I just learned a lesson on taps. I went and purchased a single tap, 12mmx1.25, because all I had on hand was a 1.5 pitch. Read the package, and the actual tap twice to confirm.

Cut my threads and go to assemble, doesn't fit. Checked the tap again, says 1.25. take a thread gauge to it, it shows me a 1.5 pitch. I guess that's what I get for buying a Irwin tap and not checking the pitch before hand. has this happened to anybody else?
No, not in 35 years...I remember getting a couple of batches of bad taps (they would only last (work) for less than half the holes as the same brand for the same material (I think they were 1/4-20, must have been a bad HT or something)...I got with our "stores" and the vendor and they got replaced lickety split.

I don't believe I've ever had a mismarked tap, die or other cutting tool. But then again now that most all are marked with a too fast, too weak laser, I can't read most of them without a magnifier, so I don't generally read the "fine print" such as class of fit of mfg logo, etc. I wish they were still marked the old fashioned way, but I understand the economics of the bottom line and realize they cost less to produce the way they are marked now. Out of the piles and piles I have on hand, there are some that are practically illegible even with magnification and good light. That I do find quite unacceptable. One should not have to resort to actually measuring the diameter and pitch of a tap or die (I use very, very few dies). I will say that the dies I have tend to be well marked for the most part, but probably because they are all (mostly) old.
Same applies to drill bits and end mills. They are a bit easier to verify should it be necessary, but drill bits, especially the larger sizes tend to be roll marked instead of stenciled or lasered so it doesn't usually present a problem. Of course, when you are disorganized like I am, it's quicker to shuffle through the drawers with a pair of calipers to find the bit I want. Then the problem is finding one that still has some life in it. End mills generally are fractional, and with a few exceptions most of what I have is disparate enough I select by eye. It's when I get to the 3/32, 15/32", that it gets worth it to get the calipers. I keep a 6" pair in the same rollaway I store the smaller cutting tools in so it's not a big deal to double check, and occasionally I catch myself picking up a wrong size on the drill bits. Taps and larger bits aren't so hard to size by eye, but if I fear I have mixed Metric and SAE, I will double check. It's only really been in the last 10 years or so that I have begun to need Metric for any of my work, so there aren't many on hand. They have a couple of drawers of their own.

I don't believe I've ever had a mismarked tap, die or other cutting tool. But then again now that most all are marked with a too fast, too weak laser, I can't read most of them without a magnifier, so I don't generally read the "fine print" such as class of fit of mfg logo, etc. I wish they were still marked the old fashioned way, but I understand the economics of the bottom line and realize they cost less to produce the way they are marked now. Out of the piles and piles I have on hand, there are some that are practically illegible even with magnification and good light. That I do find quite unacceptable. One should not have to resort to actually measuring the diameter and pitch of a tap or die (I use very, very few dies). I will say that the dies I have tend to be well marked for the most part, but probably because they are all (mostly) old.
Same applies to drill bits and end mills. They are a bit easier to verify should it be necessary, but drill bits, especially the larger sizes tend to be roll marked instead of stenciled or lasered so it doesn't usually present a problem. Of course, when you are disorganized like I am, it's quicker to shuffle through the drawers with a pair of calipers to find the bit I want. Then the problem is finding one that still has some life in it. End mills generally are fractional, and with a few exceptions most of what I have is disparate enough I select by eye. It's when I get to the 3/32, 15/32", that it gets worth it to get the calipers. I keep a 6" pair in the same rollaway I store the smaller cutting tools in so it's not a big deal to double check, and occasionally I catch myself picking up a wrong size on the drill bits. Taps and larger bits aren't so hard to size by eye, but if I fear I have mixed Metric and SAE, I will double check. It's only really been in the last 10 years or so that I have begun to need Metric for any of my work, so there aren't many on hand. They have a couple of drawers of their own.

Don't get me wrong, I'm only 28 years young and don't have anywhere near the amount for time doing these things as most of you. But even I have never had a problem with a tap being mismarked. The laser etching on the tap is very clear and it said 1.25 for thread pitch, so did the package. Thread gages disagree with what the tap said haha

Back