Mislabeled Tap...

Where I used to work They had a set of Craftsman made in USA metric taps. The m6 and m8 taps where an odd size with SAE thread pitch.

Oh, I wasn't doubting you, boostin.....just making a comment. It's bound to happen nowadays with the poor level of QC in some places.

I didn't think you were doubting me. I was also just making a comment. But just for fun, look at how clearly the tap was marked.20161110_193012.jpg

....that's nice printing! I wouldn't even need my 7x visors (which have grown to my head) to read that.
I know right! I'm actually amazed at how easily that can be read. My other taps aren't as clear as this. The set Irwin sent me is also this easy to read.

Oh, I wasn't doubting you, boostin.....just making a comment. It's bound to happen nowadays with the poor level of QC in some places.
Oh, Oh...This reminds me (Hey! I heard that!)...We're restoring an old 1960's boat and trailer...The trailer wheel hubs have 1/2-20 studs...I bought new lug nuts from a local auto parts store (It's hard to find them not made overseas unless you order them from Fastenal or?)...The new nuts only went on about a thread and a half...I ran a chaser nut over the studs and it went on fine (only taking little cuts of grime)...still the new nuts wouldn't go on...I ran a tap through the new nuts and sure enough, it took pretty good cuts of steel (plus the cuts were a little "off" (looking by eyeball) (at least the steel was pretty tough lol)...
...Maybe sometimes it's when U.S. makes Metric and Foreign makes USS and SAE? (Nah, and regardless if so...I agree...Its QC sometimes.
...Add: I can't remember, off hand, how many or which sizes and pitches (8's? 10's?)...but there are a couple, I remember, that Metric and SAE (and/or USS) are pretty close (Close enough to actually use (although not right and to spec/class)...
...Just sayin'

Last edited:
Back