Minimizing 10L Compound Screw Play?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
How do you remove play in the compound screw, between the bushing (18) and the collar (15) (see: http://www.wswells.com/partslist/948D.pdf). Either the bushing, the collar or both have been worn out over the past 50 years.

Is any way to remove this play from my compound slide - either by inserting a steel washer or something similar. Is there any way to do something about it, short of installing needle bearings? Trim the screw to move things closer, or you could try to add some thin washers?

Possible solution:

Remove the screw and build it up in the bushing off of the lathe, leave the handle off and shim under the dial the correct amount of clearance you want, you might start a bit proud till you get the hang of it. Lock the dial down on the shims and then face off between centers at "B". This is the last step in fitting the handle to the dial, bearing fit if you want to add one would be before this. face off every surface first to clean up, taking as little as possible, that gets the wear part disposed of, then add the bearing. Be careful cutting too much stock away at "B" this lowers the handle and exposes more of the handle shaft threads that have to be filed off. I have seen them with just two threads holding them on.

Anyone else have any other thoughts? Seems to be a SB design problem.

Thanks,

Nelson

My quick fix for my crosslide was instead of taking a little off the step (screw) I simply made a
step washer from bronze in which i had to cut into the step (washer) the same am't of the screw
(step) sticking out. It came out to about "0" at first it had a little drag , but it wore in. The result
comes out to the same as the excellent above reply, but its a quick fix, a bandage, 5 minutes
to make. This came about for some reason I have been doing a lot of threading and that puts a
lot of miles on my crossfeed. Also this washer was some kind of truck transmision thrust washer
which is quite large.

Back