Mini lathe killed?

update just came in from shop . i am happy to report that the lathe is fixed. the motor had a stuck brush. having some knowledge of dc motors i was able to repair it.the control board seems to work fine during cutting the piece would walk out of the chuck increasing the feed rate this loaded the lathe to an extreme,causing over heating.
im thinking that i should grind the jaws of the chuck however runout is not excessive. maybe its time for a better o

Fantastic....

after the first lucky repair tried again motor over heated really hot and quit . it is killed and the control also. repairs are now complete. see conversion. a 6ln. pulley is coming . this is a 1 hp motor from harbour freight. now we have power and multi speed control. the little crank controls the belt alignment and just visible on the far left is the belt tension adj.

Attachments

• 20230828_111458.jpg
    20230828_111458.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230828_111606.jpg
    20230828_111606.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 22
after the first lucky repair tried again motor over heated really hot and quit . it is killed and the control also. repairs are now complete. see conversion. a 6ln. pulley is coming . this is a 1 hp motor from harbour freight. now we have power and multi speed control. the little crank controls the belt alignment and just visible on the far left is the belt tension adj.
Ah, the direct approach....

How did you attach the pulley to the lathe? It looks like you won’t ever be able to do longer stock that goes through the headstock with this setup.

You should have plenty of torque now! :clapping:

Looks like you printed the red pulley. Just don't melt it by running it super fast.
Also if you can smooth out the tops of the pulley, so it doesn't abraid the belt. 320 sand paper or a file and round them over lightly.
it will help prolong the belt in case of vibration or mis-alignment.

Back