Mills & Lathes that look exactly like a PM

Ive actually been wanting to comment about this for a few days and add this to my prior post.

While with my particular PM lathe, I haven't been impressed with the quality over other offerings, (even going as far as to looking to order directly in tawain) I looked at QMT/PM as a broker and went with them to ensure parts availability and that my lathe would get to me in one peice.

That alone is worth the price or "service charge" for their products and a quite valid argument for one brand despite other even identical machines.

Ive ran into a couple of issues where a good machine is rendered useless by obsolete parts. Even with an industrial background, and a full machine shop at my leisure not having parts on hand is a huge hassle and making something thay will work gets old.

I have only bought 2 machines from PM (so far!) and my friend bought yet another, but from what I saw with these 3 transactions, PM is doing it right.

When I buy a machine, I want to get going and stay going. PM was VERY good about getting me going, and from what I gather they will be able to help me resolve any issues if something stops working.

I can handle having a machine down, waiting on parts, but having an orphaned machine would probably be too much for me!

That would be fantastic if we could count on long term availability of spare parts for the machines.

So hopefully if a motor, circuit board or the like fails years down the road, we could contact PM and buy a replacement part. That is certainly more economical than buying a new machine!

Here's a great comparison video of the the PM-25mv and it's Grizzly equivilent:

As can be seen, they are quite different. Especially:

1) Precision Mathews includes ways oilers.
2) Precision Mathews has better column support.
3) Precision Mathews features grounded, not machined, surfaces.

Across offerings I suspect Precision Mathews features similar improvements relative to competitors.

When people start talking about how object 'A' is better than object 'B' because it's cheaper, they appear to want justification of their opinion and if countered (even with actual facts), they will argue. Usually from a completely ignorant position other than having 'seen some pics' and 'read the spec sheet'.

So, rather than getting entangled in their opinions, I just tell them to go ahead and buy whatever it is they want and enjoy it. :D

I had one of Matt's early PM25s (Weiss) that was identical to the 704, except for the paint. It was OK, but wasn't even close to what the new PM-25MV is. If the new 25MV were available back then, I'd probably still have it.

Back